Door County cherries!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Aug 2, 2015.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Thursday we went on a bus tour of Door County, Wisconsin with the Senior Center here in Oshkosh. There were 50 seniors and two tour guides. It's about a 2 1/2 hour bus ride from here. It's on that peninsula that stickes up into Lake Michigan. We went to Sister Bay which is near the top of it. We visited a light house and learned all about how long it had been there. It was just remodeled last year. We went to a touristy restaurant for lunch. Al Johnson's. It's another place that's been there for years. We first went there about 30 years ago. It's been remodeled, too. It has a grass roof and has goats on the roof. I took some pictures. We could see four of them but someone said there were six. People go there just to see the goats on the roof. It's famous for Swedish pancakes and Swedish meatballs. Lunch was included in the trip and contained both the pancakes and the meatballs. Strange combination. This is cherry season in Door County. You could pick your own or buy them already picked. Since we were with a tour, we bought some already picked. We bought 5 quarts packed in a box. There were all size boxes and jars. I bought some chopped tart cherry jam, too. We stopped at a couple of touristy places and they all had cherries and of course the gift shops where you could buy thing.
    We didn't get home until 6:30 pm.
    We rested yesterday. We went and bought a cherry pitter. Today, dr pitted all the cherries. I cut some in half and made two cherry pies. I have four bags of two or three cups each in the freezer. I saved the juice, too. I will make some cherry syrup for waffles or pancakes. It's in the freezer, too. The cherries were really juicy so I had to clean the oven when the pies were finished. I did it right away so the sticky mess wouldn't congeal and refuse to come off at all. The pies are in the refrigerator. Tomorrow, we will try one. The other will go to one of our sons. Door County cherries are tart, not sweet. They are great.
    dooley

Henry Johnson and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Dooley, I'm intrigued by the roof goats. Is there a fence to keep them from falling off?
    Sounds like a 'cherry' good time!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds as though you both enjoyed your day out Dooley. I like cherries so I would have been buying them too if I'd been with you. Not sure that I would have enjoyed the combination of Swedish pancakes and meatballs though. The goats would have been a real talking point and I would have sat watching them for ages.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds like a fun day. I like cherries too but they are expensive and we have a short season when they are available in the store so we don't get to have them very often. A few years ago I posted a really good Cherry Soup recipe you might like.... http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/cherry-soup.1821/

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Frank, there are no fences. They just wander around eating the grass. There was one that was laying down near the top. Just watching toward the ground. It was probably wondering what all those people were taking pictures of.

Frank likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dooley, that sounds like such a fun trip, and to get cherries to boot--great! The Swiss often have goats on top of structures during the summer. You'd think that would attract flies.