Duck 3 ways - a great way to eat ducks.

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by KK Ng, Nov 24, 2015.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Duck is one of our favourite fowl and one duck is just too much (sometimes :) ) for the both of us and buying duck parts here is not possible. Ducks here are sold as a whole bird. Last night we had duck done 3 ways ... yum!

First I separated the into parts - fats, legs with thigh, wings and breast. Having done that the left over part are the bones with still lots of meat on it.

After separating the parts, the first thing to do is to render the fats and the fats is great for stir fry veggies, noodles and not forgetting confit. It is also not available here to buy. Great with potatoes too!!!
    20151121_111010.jpg
    The remains of the fats after rendering the oil are yummy.

The bones and parts like the neck, wing tips and so on are made into a traditional Chinese duck with salted vegetable soup. It is so good I can never get enough of it ... slurp!!!
    20151122_191804.jpg

Next the legs with thigh, some people refer to it as duck maryland and the wings. These parts we had it confit and it takes two days to do it but it's worth the trouble.
    20151123_175948.jpg
    The duck fat is collected over a couple of years when I do Cantonese roast duck and this is my second attempt at duck confit. The first time was a very disappointing failure, this time it is sweet yum success!

The breast is smoked with tea leaves and it is also marinated over night to give it a fantastic flavor. This is also the second time I did tea smoked duck.
    20151123_185208.jpg

Becky made a great salad and baked sweet potatoes to go with it. 20151123_191618.jpg
    20151123_191948.jpg
    Bon Appétit :)

Droopy and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hmmmm, that all looks really good!! Duck only shows up in mainstream grocery stores at this time of the year but our local H Mart carries whole duck and parts too year round. I started roasting duck breasts for Thanksgiving a few years ago, we also have turkey breasts.
    But Duck is so expensive here, we can't afford to have it very often so it makes the holiday dinner special.
    And we love the Asian (sometimes labeled Japanese or Korean) sweet potatoes we get there too.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

All three ways look delicious! Duck is very expensive here, so we rarely have it (not a regular in the frozen section of the grocery). I may have to break down and blow my food budget on a duck and do the smoked one. It would be worth eating rice and beans for a week to have smoked duck that must taste as good as it looks!

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Toni, didn't know that duck is expensive and rare over in your part of the world. Yes sweet potatoes is also a recent discovery for us when we were in United Kingdom ... I think it is much better than potatoes.

Thanks Marlingardener, yes smoked duck taste heavenly when it is done correctly or should I say like the chefs in cooking show - "Done to perfection". How about during duck season, would it be cheaper?

Advertisement
  6. toni

It only shows up in the main stream grocery stores here in November and December, I haven't check the cost there. The Asian markets (H Mart and soon to open 99 Ranch) carry it year round and is $9 a pound. So I buy two beasts in August to put in the freezer waiting for Thanksgiving.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

At $9 a pound is expensive! I guess it must be a supply and demand matter that made duck cost more. Come to think of it ducks are also expensive here because not many people know how to cook duck. Ducks here cost about RM12.00~16.00 a kilo (RM is our currency) which is more than double the price of chicken. Luckily there are lots of shop selling Chinese roast duck rice so there is a constant demand for ducks so supply is also available year round.

Have a delicious Thanksgiving with your ducks Toni. :)

8. toni

The two packages of duck breasts (2 in each) cost more than the turkey breasts I bought, but it's only once year and hubby and youngest daughter like them better than turkey. Oldest grandson tried some and decided that he actually liked it too.

I scored the fat side, seared the fat side until golden brown in a frying pan to cook off most of the grease, then moved them to a baking dish and roasted them in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes. They must have been good because there were no leftovers yesterday. Randy dips his in Plum Sauce, daughter eats it plain.

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Well KK Ng, Everything was a 'just ducky" at your house yesterday. Wish I were there for everything looked great....

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Barb, got another 2 ducks in the freezer! :)

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

KK Ng, That is just what I would have. My thoughts run wild.......I wonder how they would can up..... LOL

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm hungry. I'd love some roast duck just now!

Duck is not easy to come by here either. We can usually buy duck breasts, but they're very expensive here too. When I wanted turducken for my birthday dinner I got turgoosen. :p Then some time later my husband made turducken light. Chicken breasts inside duck breasts inside turkey breasts. He used a scalpel to fix them. :chuckle:

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

:) here turkey is ridiculously expensive, we only get once a year imported from US for Christmas only. Goose is not available at all. Your turducken sounds yummy!!! :p

14. toni

The Asian stores are the only ones around here that offer Goose for sale and that's only in Nov and Dec.......and a small Goose costs about $60....we have never had one.

15. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

It was! Since it was a small version of the real thing, we finished most of it in one dinner. I believe that if we were to stuff a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey we'd probably still have leftovers. :D