Early Tomato Blight is here......and some observations about

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Jul 4, 2015.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Opalka tomato's

Lots of rain and high humidity for several weeks. I had thought that the inches of woodchips used as a mulch would have saved me from the blasted early/late blight. I had forgotten that the spores can be carried for miles on the wind. I've been out pruning like a madman for a couple of hours and decided on a water break.

Last fall, I had 2 truck loads of woodchips dumped on my garden, I spread them over the entire garden with depth ranging from 3 to 5 inches. Thought I had beaten soil born fungus like blight, I did! Everything is growing wonderfully and I look forward to some tremendous cabbage, onions, peppers, cukes, and hopefully tomato's.

About those Opalka tomato's. They are a Polish Heirloom, very fragile looking plant with long, almost vining leaf stems. Not a heavy leaf cover either. They are more sturdy than they look though, but just. These require staking/cages to help keep them upright. These seem especially susceptible to the blight, the ones pruned earlier appear to be recovering nicely. I'll have more to report later, I have fruit hanging, just waiting for it to ripen.

If I weren't such a technofail, I would post some photo's, but alas...................

carolyn and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...