Easy to care grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by wendyjames2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. wendyjames2

wendyjames2 New Seed

I'd like to set up my lawn but I am quite hesitant. What is the easiest grass type to care for? easy maintenance?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. sgmgarden
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. thejames
      Replies:
      Views:

3. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

It really depends on where you live and what the weather conditions are like. That will determine which grass is easiest for you to maintain.

4. wendyjames2

wendyjames2 New Seed

I live in Plano, TX. Any suggestions?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

First check with the City of Plano concerning what your water restriction stage is...many in our area are already saying no new lawns because of the high amount of water they require to get established.

If you can go more natural (no HOA telling you what you can and can not plant) I would check into Buffalo grass or some other native prairie grass....once established they will live on the rain nature gives them, don't need to be mowed very often, no chemicals needed, etc,

Do not go with St. Augustine, it is a very high maintenance grass especially in the north Texas area. Requires heavy watering and spreads like crazy.

It would probably be best to check out some large garden centers (not the big box stores) to find out what is recommended for our weather and water restrictions. I am in Carrollton, by the way.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd suggest Bermuda. It spreads easily so you will have a maintenance problem with flower beds, but it's almost indestructible, stays green most of the year, and when it goes dormant in the heat of summer, it is really just dormant, not dead.
    It can be started from seed or from plugs. Seed is cheaper, plugs are quicker.