Eeeeeeeewwwwwww!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by AAnightowl, May 13, 2011.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks Daniel. I believe that periodic cicada is what is out now. The other kinds arrive in July. Right now the noise from the cicadas is deafening and there are more and more daily.

2. Daniel Mazur

Daniel Mazur Seedling

I'm in Verona, Illinois AAnightowl and we didn't have them here when they struck a few years back, but they were in abundance closer to Chicago. The news media isn't talking about them yet, so I think they'll get us in July when it's much warmer here.

3. Daniel Mazur

Daniel Mazur Seedling

I took a better look at the periodical and I see this brood will be/is farther south of me.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Advertisement
  5. Daniel Mazur

Daniel Mazur Seedling

[​IMG]
    5'-0" Largemouth ( photo / image / picture from Daniel Mazur's Garden )

Sounds like a plan AAnightowl. I hope you get to see that bass hit a cicada. This is my best of last year. Strictly catch and release.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Awesome bass Daniel !!! great catch. :stew1:

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

[​IMG]
    fish i caught last evening ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

I finally went fishing in my pond last evening for a little bit. I caught 3 small fish, too small to keep. I took a picture of one of them. I think it was a bass ? The first one might have been a sunfish. A few years ago, we turned a nice big bass loose in the pond. These might have been her offspring ? I had a few get away, they bit like crazy on the cicadas.

[​IMG]
    my pond ( photo / image / picture from AAnightowl's Garden )

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Looks like the Southern Maryland area will have some of the periodic cicadas but this brood won't have a presence here where I live... a little further north.

9. Daniel Mazur

Daniel Mazur Seedling

That looks like it might be a rock bass (goggle eye) AAnightowl. If it is and it looks like it's about nine inches? That's considered a nice size here where I'm at. They don't get too big. World record rock bass was only 3lb while the world record bluegill was 4.2 or so lbs.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds gross! We are 'lucky' to see Cicadas here.

11. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Daniel, the big bass that I turned loose in my pond a few years ago weighed several pounds and was at least 16 or 18 inches if I recall right. One of my neices had caught it at a local lake. None of us wanted to clean it, so it got a reprieve and put in the pond. I am not an expert on fish species, but I know it was a nice sized bass. I didnt think of measuring this one, it was quite wiggly for its picture. The din from the cicadas is awful right now. I wonder how long we have to put up with them? I hope we have some peace and quiet before the dog days cicadas arrive. :(