Egg shells a natural fertilizer. Coffee grounds.

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Donna S, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I save egg shell for several reasons. I nuke them for a minute to eliminate stink, Some I throw into an old blender and grind , some I crush.

1. Encircle plants prone to slugs & snails with crushed shells.
    Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers

2. Place a layer in planting hole. I use the ones I grind. They enrich soil & provide a slow release of calcium preventing blossom end rot. Again Tomatoes, eggplant and peppers.

3. Place powdered shells in watering can and fill with water. Let sit to absorb several days. Use to water plants. It's a natural fertilizer. And free.

Coffee grounds add nitrogen. 1/2 inch around nitrogen loving plants does wonders. Keep away from beans.

KK Ng and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Donna S
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Eggshells, just think of all the good stuff that ends up in the trash. Hmmm…..They smell? But not if you nuke them in the micrograve? I will save my eggshells.

Gastropods beware!!

Jerry

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Just went and put egg shell +veggy pealing and coffee ground in my compost. when all the snow is gone give flower some compost tea.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Roma tomatoes in this area are very, very prone to blossom end rot. I save egg shells, grind them up, and put about 1/2 cup in the planting hole when I put out the Romas. It really helps--doesn't completely stop the BER, but if we put more egg shells around the plants when they are about half-way through their season, and scratch the shells into the soil, it keeps the BER at bay.
    Thank you ladies (hens)!