Eggplant saving tips?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Red Audrey, May 31, 2016.

1. Red Audrey

Red Audrey New Seed

I walked the community garden after planting my seedlings and noted that the eggplant in other people's plots were suffering. Much of the leaves were eaten away. What can I do to protect my plant? I suspect flea beetles but I am not sure. I don't want to kill all the good bugs while I am at saving my eggy.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Red---do you have some pics? Sometimes one can tell what the problem is by looking at the patterns on the damaged leaves.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

If something is eating the plant like that,,you need to make a decision. Are you gong to feed the bugs or feed yourself. Simple answer for me,,I kill the bugs. You can use the organic spray ( Sergeant Cat flea spray, Pyrethrin) made from chrysanthemums. 2 tbsp to a spray bottle,1 tbsp dish soap, and to the neck with water. Spray entire plant,, top and bottom. Actually if you start spraying when planted you will have much less of a problem. Then just spray as needed but don`t wait till the damage is already done. Like I do my potatoes,, when they hit the top of the soil I spray,, then about every two weeks. It just takes a light spray to make the bugs look for another place to dine. I still have the good bugs by droves, they usually take care of many of the bad bugs. Just try to avoid getting the spray directly on the good ones. Shoo them away till the spray is dry. Don`t forget to spray the soil around the stem of the plant to deter the crawlers.

Red Audrey likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

New spray I just learned about on Sat at my market... brew tomato leaves in a kettle and strain them.. then spray the liquid on your eggplant. flea beetle NEVER are on tomatoes. give it a try.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Red Audrey likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Never thought about that Carolyn. But I never have had flea beatles that I know of.