Ever notice how much plants grow in just a week?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all,

I just got back from a camping vacation in Acadia (Bar Harbor, ME). We were gone 10 days. Of course the first thing I did upon returning home was check the garden. (Isn't that what you do?) It never ceases to amaze me how much plants grow in such a short time. My pots of herbs & dahlias look nothing like the ones I left. They are fairly crowding me out on the deck. A whole new set of perennials are blooming in the perennial beds (lilies, daylilies, feverfew, astilbes, hostas Japanese iris, etc). At my plot in the community garden, the peas had grown so much they had out grown their pea brush (remind me to do a better job for them next time) & were bearing boat loads of peas. The beans are flowering & setting tiny pods. The beets are just about jumping out of their beds. The zukes are ready to take off.....the eggplant is outgrowing its row cover.....

If you ever need a reminder that time never stands still, just look to your garden.

Frank and marlingardener like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Dinu

Dinu Seedling

Aah, yes yes. They keep growing every minute. I have also observed that we see the difference on our return from a vacation after a week or ten days which is astounding. If we keep looking at them every day, we will not notice the little growth that happens. Almost every time [if it's daytime] I have returned from my cricket sojourns or any tour that I have undertook, the first thing I did was, after entering the gate and before getting into the house, keep the luggage and to take a little survey of the plants. When I have telephoned when away, the first thing I have often asked my wife was 'Did you water the plants?'... this would give a little jolt there... After that I'd ask the welfare of my family and mother! I have noticed 'substantial growth' during my absence, or so it appears to our eye. They would have grown that much anyway, but it is the effect that thrills us, ten days later.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Dinu, I sent 2 texts home to our daughter who was watching the house in our absence, asking her if she had watered the plants!

Dinu likes this.