Ever the optimist......

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Feb 22, 2015.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'm starting pepper plants today. The high today was 13 degrees F at 12:01AM. The low will be -1 degree F. I had posted earlier that winter's back had been broken and spring was coming. She's putting up a tremendous last stand I tell you. The birds are back to huddling in the denuded Lilac bush instead of chasing each other away and singing their territorial songs.

Don't know if I'll be able to get peas out again this year. The ground is frozen six inches, and I don't think it will thaw enough by mid March to plant. I have onion plants arriving the seventh of April, although those will keep for a bit.

Miss Jane, I like you thoughts on planting extra. I do that for my elderly Aunt's and Uncle's. They love fresh garden produce, but, are all too frail to do for themselves these days.

Think I'll start a few cabbages too.

Greetings to all you new folks to the stew, and another warm hello to my 'old' friends.

Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

FBG - Any particular reason you don't want to plant your peas after mid March? I don't get my peas planted until May sometimes and always end up with a great crop!

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

It usually gets too warm for peas here by June, so......I try to get them out pretty early.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FBG, good to see you posting, I missed you. That is one cute puppy in your avatar!
    Yes, planting a bit extra is so rewarding. The food pantry help always come to help me unload the truck and see what's in the bags and baskets. They even saved some extra sturdy canvas bags for me!
    I have trouble with peas also. If it warms up too early and too fast, all I get is great vines. Ah well, pea plants fix nitrogen in the soil, so all is not lost.

6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Miss Jane, that cute puppy is nearly 4 years old now. A total Jack Russell Terrorist! I would post more, but, I'm working way too many hours on too little sleep.