Exbury Azalea leaves turned dark red

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by ChrisG, Jun 23, 2016.

1. ChrisG

ChrisG New Seed

I had this orange Exbury Azalea planted this spring. It had green leaves. Slowly over the past two months, the leaves have all changed to a ruddy red. Except for the color, the leaves look healthy. When it started turning, I assumed I was under watering it, but more water did not keep it green. All the Google images I looked at (where foliage was visible) had green leaves.

It resides in a shady place... a spot that I'm not sure if it has enough sun, but my landscaper suggested the plant for that location. It is in rich and soft soil (being a novice, I don't know how to describe soil in "gardener"). It is right next to a large and mature sword fern and a mature rhodie, plus geraniums filling in the rest of the space. All the other plants have been there for years and continue to do quite well. Isn't it the same soil requirements for rhodies as for azaleas? It started to turn after in the ground for a month or so.

ExburyAzalea.jpg

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Make sure it is getting enough water and no critters have undermined its roots, but I wouldn't worry to much. Here is why I feel like it may just be a young plant adapting to its surroundings.

It is a deciduous azalea and they react from my experience much like you blueberry plants with the leaves (especially young leave) having a reddish cast. I could be wrong, but you said getting enough water didn't appear to be the issue. It probably just needs time to expand its roots and settle in. Best of luck. I know our deciduous azalea has the most beautiful foliage prior to loosing its leaves in late summer.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

ChrisG,..i agree with Jewell,..young leaves tend to be reddish,..even when in bloom you will see young reddish leaves amidst the greener ones,..as for watering,.. under watering rather than over doing it would be the best choice,..you are going to have a very stunning display of Orange Blooms so look forward to that day,..your Azalea looks healthy :like: