Fan on seedlings

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by marlingardener, Feb 2, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have a flat of tomato seedlings that are about 2-3" tall. To make the stems sturdier I have a fan set up to gently blow on them.
    How long should I have the fan on? Right now I have it going about two hours a day, an hour in the morning and again in the afternoon. Is this enough, too much?

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

At that size and as cool as it is I think that's fine. I would increase time a little every couple of weeks or so until time to plant in the garden and as the weather warms up. Just keep it on a low speed so they don`t bend or break .

Jewell likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, thank you! The seedlings are doing fine and are growing. I'll continue with two hours a day for a bit, then I'll bump up the fan time as you suggested. When they move outside to harden off before planting, they ought to be pretty sturdy.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

They should be pretty sturdy by then. I looked at the long term forcast this morning and looks like an early spring. But watch the plants March 9th to 14th. It said cold but not how cold. Rest of Feb and March above normal . Has been beautiful weather here. Daytime temps 56 to 75 degrees.