Farmer's Market

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Jun 28, 2015.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Since we moved to Wisconsin we haven't been able to have a garden. We are in an apartment that has grass and woods but no place for gardens. But, Oshkosh has a great farmer's market. It's from 9 to 12 am every Saturday. Farmers start setting up at 8 am. We rode the bus downtown and the farmer's market is two short blocks from the transit station. We took our shopping bags and walked up one side and down the other. It was about four blocks on Main Street and a block down a side street. They do have some things other than vegetables and fruit but not too much. There are also some food stands where you can buy snacks. We bought fresh strawberries, peaches, snow peas, mushrooms, new white potatoes, and some small zucchini. So, we had stir fried vegetables for supper. I had onions and green peppers. Of course, I didn't put the strawberries and peaches in the stir fry. There was also several kinds of fresh greens and lettuce. Kale, spinach, swiss chard, bok choy, parsley and other herbs. We;ll be going about every week through the end of October. If I can't have a garden it's the next best thing for fresh vegetables.
    dooley

KK Ng, toni, Jewell and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, the next best thing, but you don't have to bend over to pick and weed, and if your crop fails, someone else has what you need! That sounds like a wonderful market, and if you become regular customers, I'd bet you'll make friends with some of the vendors.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That sounds like fun to me. I've gone to the big one in the town 60 miles from us and found some good things I didn't have the room to grow. I try to go when the Iris society is have their sales as the tubers are nice sized and there's many different varieties.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Farmers 'markets around here aren't what they used to be. They tend to be small and cater for the folks with money instead of regular people. There are stalls with exotic meats and others with wines - neither of which I buy. I'm glad your market has plenty of fresh fruit and veg Dooley. You may not have a garden now but you can still get fresh, good quality produce which is a bonus.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Glad you are finding a way to have those fresh veggies you are used to having. Even though we have a little garden, we were down at the farmers market this morning picking up a few things not found in our yard. Walla Walla sweet onions, fresh oysters, bread and some peaches. It's those little local treats that will make a special dinner tonight put together with some berries and greens from the yard. We don't get down to the farmers market nearly enough. There are actually two other farmers markets in the area also. They are very popular here.

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Farmers market is always a highlight for me wherever we go!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We found a 'new to us' farmers market weekend before last and plan to go back this coming Saturday morning. Only problem is that is located in the parking lot of a really, really large Half Priced Books store where we and our money already get lost every chance we get.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am glad you are enjoying the farm markets, we haven't been to one this year. They have them at Festival foods in Appleton on Wednesdays and in downtown Appleton on Saturday. Neenah has one too on Saturday.
    ....How do you like the weather we have been having? Chilly for me the last couple mornings and I am hoping we get the warmer weather.