Feeding cats eggs

Discussion in 'Pets' started by lexxivexx, Oct 16, 2009.

1. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

My hens have finally started laying (of course they waited until we were in Chicago last week) and I've been meaning to get these kitties on a better diet. I came across a really cool article about feeding cats meat, veggis, etc. http://www.wellvet.com/feedingcats.html
    and it said eggs are OK. I also read somewhere else that they should be cooked because raw eggs contain some chemical that blocks absorption of B vitamins.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or other "people food" with their cats? If so, what were the results?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Freja

Freja New Seed

My cats prefer to eat the same food as i am eating than the usual cat food bought in stores.
    They eat almost everything but ofcourse, they love meat and fish more than potatoes, but still, they eat veggies etc as long as they see me eating it...lol

4. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Freja, I truly miss having cats like yours that would eat anything! My first cat was so convinced he was a human, he developed an insatiable lust for pineapple. Canned or fresh, he couldn't be stopped.

Iggy will *try* whatever I give her (she only licked at the scrambled egg today), but Cash thinks that all people food is disgusting and tries to "bury" it, unless it's cheese, flour(!) or uncooked rice(!).

Maybe I could put a bit of olive oil "butter" spread on the eggs to start, they both like that...

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

The cats around here eat at their house and anything I have left over and put out the back door for them.

Advertisement
  6. Karen B

Karen B Seedling

You definitely want to cook any eggs because of the threat of salmonella from raw eggs.

Eating "people" food depends on a cat's likes and dislikes. You have to be careful because there are some foods that are not good for them - chocolate, onion and avocado are three that come to mind.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I had a cat who ate a raw egg almost every day and never had any problems -- I'm not sure if it was good for her or not, really. Eventually I worried about it, so I started cooking the egg a little and she didn't love it quite as much as raw. But none of my other cats that I've had over the years have liked eggs in any form.