Fern maybe?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I rescued this houseplant at the end of the season last year from my local grocery store. It was on its last legs, was actually being thrown away but I know the gal who tends the plant/flower section and I asked her if I could just have it..she said sure.

It didn't do much for the longest time, and I wasn't sure if it was going to come back. But it's tenacious I guess, it recently started putting out some tentative new shoots that look healthy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I particularly like the way the new shoots start....look at these adorable little spirals!! :heart:

[​IMG]

Cayuga Morning, LIcenter and carolyn like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm no fern expert Ronni but yours resembles Davallia fejeensis. There's another one that it may be too that's called Pteris ensiformis. Hopefully someone else can shed more light on a name for it than I can. It's really quite attractive with it's variegated foliage isn't it? I also love the way the new shoots form those little spirals. Well done you for rescuing it and bringing it back to life.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Looks like a fern to me but all I can go with is "fern." Neat that it's survived. Am pretty certain in a couple of seasons it'll be really lush.

Advertisement
  6. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Love the fiddleheads coming up.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Pretty little fern Ronni. I have seen that fern about, but never knew it's name.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Fiddleheads? Is that your name for that new growth, or is that an actual term? I LOVE it, whatever its origin! Exactly appropriate for what they look like! :D

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh wow. Yeah, toni, that's exactly what it looks like. And I sure will....soon as I figure out how ;) I've done it before, I just need to remember.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK toni I uploaded the photos.

Do the images need to be annotated in some way...I guess primarily the "fiddleheads" (thanks Licenter!) image so folks know that's new growth?

11. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

That's what I've always called the new growth. There is a fiddlehead fern also. From what I understand those fiddleheads are edible, and taste like mild asparagus when cooked.

12. Cayuga Morning

Lucenter,
    Long long ago in a galaxy far far away, I had a college friend who would go backpacking in the Adirondacks. He would pick & saute those fiddleheads.
    Once he showed me which ones were edible....but do I remember? Of course not.

13. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

Coinky dink. We had a cabin in the Adirondacks long long ago. Do I know you? :)

14. toni

Ronnie, no annotation needed on the photos....actually there is no way to do it anyway :)
    Thanks for getting them uploaded, they have just been approved. Now to enter information about them. There is a section on the plant page for 'Additional Short Notes' where you could add anything you think someone might need to know about the plant.

15. Cayuga Morning

Licenter,
    Wow! That would be something, huh? This friend's family had a cabin in the Adirondacks & he'd go camping with his dad every year. Camping & fishing. This would be when he was a kid and a teen....1960-1977 maybe. Do I shock you with how old I am?

So what in the world does coinky dink mean!!?? I have never heard that expression....hold on, I just googled it:
    coinkydink (noun) : [slang] coincidence. It is such a coinkydink to see you here! Submitted by: Anonymous on May. 29, 2008 12:26. cojerker (noun) : a coworker who is a jerk; an unlikable, cruel, rude, or small-minded fellow
    employee.

16. toni

Wow, I haven't heard anyone use that expression in years. But I remember it from waaaay back in my history.