Fig Tree Getting Figs

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by SueanneFl., May 21, 2015.

1. SueanneFl.

SueanneFl. New Seed

Vincent and fig tree side of house.jpg

Was surprised how fast the fig tree has grown this season. Have another one behind it. This tree is 24 years old and still producing. Freeze what I can to use in smoothies.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a huge Fig tree, almost the first thing I planted in the backyard back in 2000. It is loaded with Figs in July and August and becomes the worlds largest birdfeeder. We don't like them but all the birds sure do.

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Our poor little fig tree has been damaged several times by hurricanes and froze once and is in its 4 th incarnation 10 ft from its original spot. A storm laid it down up rooting it. One of the branches touching the ground sprouted and its off again,I cant hardly wait for them to begin ripening so we can do this:

Henry Johnson likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My youngest son would love to have fresh figs to eat as he's a fruitarian. He'd certainly make sure that no-one would have any surplus!! I like fresh figs too but can't stand the taste of them once they are cooked. I hope you all have plenty to enjoy for years to come. Toni I'm sure your birds are highly delighted that you don't want to eat your figs yourself as it means there's more for them to feast on.