Fires out West! Dooley are you OK?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

YIkes! I hope that all our Stewbies are OK in with all the fires out in the Western parts of the U.S. Prayers for safety for all the people out there, and our brave fire fighters. I am also praying for rain to help put out all those fires.
    All the rain in the south could move over to the West and benefit both areas. I just can't imagine what they are all going through.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The news programs on TV have been showing the different fires, and interviewing the displaced homeowners. Between Louisiana floods and California fires, we have a lot of people suffering. Let's wait to see what is needed, and then contribute what we can to help everyone out.
    The bravery and sheer determination of the fire fighters is simply amazing.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley lives in Wisconsin now. I don't think we have any active members in California.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Last summer we had huge fires in my area of the world. Whilst I didn't actually SEE any flames there was smoke in the air here for months. Left a yucky grey film on everything.

My point in saying this is that while the actual flame of a fire can be devastating the smoke can also play havoc with the lungs as you can't escape breathing it and the smoke from a fire can affect many more than the actual fire does.

Prayers for all those affected by the fires out west.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have a sister in San Luis Obispol. I don't think the fire is real close to her but they seem to spread any which way so I keep watching it. Our son and family moved from California to Washington state last fall. It's been dry here. Rain keeps going north of us, up by Green Bay. dooley

Frank, Tooty2shoes and Islandlife like this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The fires in California and flooding in Louisiana are bad. I've been watching the news and it's terrible. We have had several fires within 100 miles (161 km) of us but so far the firefighters have managed to put them out quickly and no homes have been lost. There's one burning now within 60 miles of us. This is the latest news on the Idaho fire Information site. Pocatello is 60 miles from us.

IDAHO FALLS, ID: Fire crews responded to a smoke report yesterday evening in Toponce Canyon, 16 miles east of Pocatello, or 11 miles northeast of Inkom. Initial reports put the size of the fire at two acres. The Toponce Creek Fire is now estimated at 30 acres. The cause of the fire is hold-over lightning as the location remote with no road or trails nearby. There have been no structures lost or injuries so far. Resources assigned to the fire include four engines, a helicopter, Air Attack and 11-smoke jumpers. A Type I & a Type II hand crew (20-person) have been ordered. Two single engine air tankers and a large air tanker (MAFFs) have provide air support.
    There's been rain showers all around us today but the wind is really blowing hard. I hope they get it under control soon.

Tooty2shoes and Islandlife like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh silly me. Dooley I forgot you had moved to my state. I will be praying that the fire stays away from your sister. I know what you mean about the rain going north of us. We live south of Green Bay and have gotten just a few showers. I am watering the garden AGAIN! I am so glad we have a well. Although I have not been watering other plants to conserve our well water. You just do not want to run your well dry.
    2ofus praying that the fire stays away from you and yours also.

Islandlife likes this.