First Attempt at Spaghetti Squash

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by SongofJoy57, Mar 9, 2008.

1. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5659 ... 001ox0.jpg

It was surprisingly good. I used portabello mushrooms and sweet red peppers in the garlic tomato sauce. I am having a horrible time getting on Photobucket, and would appreciate it if anyone knows another site where I can get img codes. :(

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well, it looks tasty but what is it? ;)

Thanks for the update on the dish. It does look good, will you be giving us the recipe?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Is that the vegetable spaghetti squash? What did it taste like? Did you grow it yourself? If so, how did you grow it? I've wanted to try it but haven't dared. :oops:

5. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

I am afraid I did not grow it, Droopy. I bought it at the grocery store. I told my fiancee that I was going to use it instead of fattening pasta . . . and he kept saying, "That sounds scary." It had microwave directions, but I stuck a knife in it at four different places. Then I placed it in a cake pan in a preheated oven (350 degrees.) I baked it for one hour, then set the pan on the porch to cool some. I brought it in when it was cool enough to handle, and sliced it lengthwise in half. Then I took a fork, and gingerly got the seeds out. Then I got to the fun part . . . I just started teasing it out with a fork . . . it is amazing how it looks like spaghetti . . . Then I took a jar of garlic spaghetti sauce, and doctored it up with browned ground pork, chucks of fresh veggies tht I nuked it in microwave separately. After I topped the spaghetti squash with sauce, I sprinkled a bit of Romano cheese on it. We ate two helpings each . . . and it was absolutely delicious. . . without the guilt of yummy pasta calories. It was so fun to scrape it out with a fork . . . with no effort at all!

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'll have to check the big food stores for it. Your meal sounds so delicious, SoJ! I love pasta and probably eat too much of it.

7. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

I do too . . . I am trying to lose some weight for my health. . . and this was surprisingly delicious with a nice meaty hearty sauce on it . . . the texture was good too . . . The best part was gently teasing the squash out . . . it was so weird and easy . . . what a veggie!!! :D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah,

SOJ-- One place that I keep fotos is:
    http://www.shutterfly.com/

Droopy: I grew this veggie about three years ago, and it was pretty easy to grow.

I just germinated the seeds inside and timed the planting of the seeds so that I would have plants with at least two leaf sets ready to set out about mid may. It took about five weeks here.
    I planted the seeds two to a little seeding pot. You can plant more, say 5 to a pot and thin out the weakest two and plant the clods with three plants in one hole. I know of a person who did it that way and they did just fine.

When it was time I planted them outside and just gave them water regularly and let them do their thing.

The idea is to let them mature fully on the vine then harvest them. You just keep harvesting and they keep producing more flowers and fruits.

I can't really describe the flavour of the "spaghetti" inside, but I did not think that it tasted like regular spaghetti. I did not find it a negative flavour though.

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I can already see how I am letting myself in for another culinary experience.

I will need to search high and low for these veggies.

Gosh it looks good SOJ. ;)

10. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Thank you Palm Tree!!!

Sjoerd: I use shutterfly, but I need a place to get the image codes from . . . photobucket mailed me my user name and pass word . . . after I could not get in, and I still can't get in . . . :(

Also I did not think it tasted like spaghetti . . . it shreds into uniform strings like spaghetti, and tastes very mild . . . the sauce is what I tasted :setf_020: . . . YUM . . . and it was not mushy like squash sometimes is either. I am excited because I love spaghetti, and this is healthy while it was unbelievably filling and satisfying. A new way to get my veggies in!!!! LOL :D

11. Wrennie

Wrennie In Flower

I love spaghetti squash! I've also made it with a garlic, butter, and oil mixture for the topping. Yummy and summery.
    * saute minced garlic in some extra virgin olive oil, add butter at the end just to melt, toss over spag squash. mmmmmm
    Darn! Now I want some!

12. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Thank you for the recipe Wrennie . . . I will try it this weekend! Is it not fun and amazing to tease the strands out with a fork??? What a fun thing to prepare! :-D

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love growing the Spagetti Squash.It is so very easy to grow and I do not let them get gold in color.I pull them
    when they get large but not turning color I cut them in half and take the seeds out which makes a fair size depression.I place the halves in a micowave safe dish place butter salt and pepper and cover.Cook until fork eases into the veggie but dont stick through outer skin ,just until tender You can do the same thing except in the and oven bake at 350 until tender.
    They are fun to grow too.

14. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Glendann: Yum! Thanks for another recipe that sounds delicious . . . I will be buying these often . . .

15. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My whole family loves these as well as myself.

16. Sapphire

Sapphire Seedling

My mom use to make spaghetti squash all the time growing up, and I just recently started making it again (with some store bought organic sauce) and I add some shredded cheeses with some garlic gluten free toast and its delish! Its so easy to make too...Just heated my oven to 350 and cut the squash in half, put face down in a casserole dish with a half inch of water in the bottom and cooked for 45 minutes...and I agree! Its fun to scrape out =) Kids love to help too =) Anyway, perfect for our gluten free family! Cant wait to see my own spaghetti squash germinating soon =)