First Daffodil

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0026-001.JPG IMG_8400.jpg IMG_8408.jpg . First mini Daffodil flowers of the season plus latest Crocus.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Petronius, Jewell, donm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, on an overcast, rainy day here, your photos were a taste of spring--THANK YOU!!!!!

4. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Sydney, thanks for the pics still got a month or so before see any of that

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dash it I was hoping to beat you to the first daffodil too. Mine are just about ready to burst in to flower but weren't quick enough to get there before yours. I have loads of snowdrops, Scilla Siberica and crocus in flower at the moment though. ;)

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hello spring! I love this time of year on the forums when everyone starts posting their first spring photos. Thanks Sydney!

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

/ATTACH] IMG_8443.jpg IMG_8445.jpg IMG_8438.jpg IMG_8446.jpg A little more cheer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Jewell and Frank like this.
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0023.JPG Another tiny interesting Daffodil currently flowering.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my goodness ... what a sight for sore eyes! That last Daffodil is a stunner!
    Thanks for sharing, you made my morning :)

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Netty. Just starting to blooom. It is only about 8 inches tall - will try and remember its name. Syd.
    Edit. The Daffodils name is Rip Van Winkle.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

IMG_8455.jpg IMG_8456.jpg IMG_8460.jpg IMG_8458.jpg IMG_8463.jpg IMG_8470.jpg IMG_8471.jpg IMG_8474.jpg IMG_8476.jpg IMG_8480.jpg A few more "firsts" - taken just now. Primula Wanda - Hyacinth in bud - H. orientalis - Daylily showing - Hacquetia - Ligularia - Pulmonaria - More RVW Daffs - Dicentra white showing - Rose shoots on climber.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I've got that little gem too. It just is in the final stages of blooming. This is its second blooming year. I hope they come back and continue to survive. My trowel sometimes is a little too aggressive going after weeds when there are hidden gems.

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jewell. Its a lovely little gem as you say. At last property I also grew other varieites of small Daffs on raised beds but have not got round to it here. Hope Spring will soon be with you. Syd.

14. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0031.JPG Some pics taken this morning showing latest colour. Not in order but include Drumstick - Wanda and first common cream Primroses (my favourites), Wood Violets allowed to wander as they will here, Hosta buds just showing through, Hyacinth in flower, more small Daffs including one with orange trumpet.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a great sight for winter weary eyes! Thank you for posting these pretty flowers. I may have some daffodils in the next week. At least there's buds on them.

16. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi 2 0 s. Glad you liked the flower pics and that they cheered up your ongoing winter a little for you. The garden here now is literally bursting into life and yesterday I mowed grass, trimmed edges and edged up the beds. I do like to keep the plot looking ship shape but at the same time allow plants to do their own thing as much as possible, though having an eye kept on them so they do not become overwhelming to others. It works well and is due a lot to my having this love of cottage garden plants which also gives me a sort of cottage garden attitude - I describe it as "an orderly disorderliness" which statement covers a lot of ground and is open to all sorts of interpretations - and scope!.
    Now a slap on the wrist for me - who noticed that right next to the pic of the Hyacinth in bloom there lurks a young Dandelion weed - usually I am hot on weeds and out they come as soon as seen - I missed that one. Hope your Daffodils will soon be in bloom and your Spring arrives. Syd.