Five "weeds" to identify. One or two I actually like.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Beeker, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Along my drive or walk, I come across some charming wildflowers. Some of them are just interesting, others I wish I could have them in my garden. The last two I pulled out of my garden.
    Please identify these for me.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The pink "clover-like" flower is Crown Vetch. This is used to stabilize eroding hillsides or as a ground cover for the garden (which I wouldn't recommend). So, I would pull it ASAP
    the 4th weed looks like poke weed. Pull it ASAP
    The yellow one I have seen, but I can't tell for sure... maybe Butter and eggs?
    The blue one looks like a bulb not a weed.. maybe squill.
    The 5th one... weed.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Scilla sibirica (Siberian Squill)

The Crown Vetch will spread wildly, it's used by some highway departments in your part of the country as a ground cover along the highways. But you might not want it in your garden unless you do have a ditch or hillside to protect.

Linaria vulgaris (Common Toadflax, Butter and Eggs)

Phytolacca americana (American Pokeweed )
    Check out the photos to see if that's yours. I have it in my garden for the birds who love the berries. It's very shallow rooted and easy to pull up if you don't want it. If you are adventurous you can learn now to cook it (there are special directions otherwise it can cause illness) and try a new veggie.

#5 does look like a plain weed, has it ever bloomed?

Frank likes this.
  5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Thank you both for helping with this.
    I absolutely love the blue flowers in the first picture. I see pillows of them in some yards on my way to church in the spring.
    The last two weeds are the only ones from my yard. I have pulled them.
    Toni, no, the last one is only green.
    I might want to try the cooking, but I will wait until I get up the courage and time to cook the hostas first.
    So much to do, so little time.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Umm, Pokeweed is only shallow rooted when it is young. After the first year you need a sharp shovel and a lot of leg muscles to dig the things out. You will not be able to pull them. Pulling only breaks the stem off at the ground. So, if you don't want it now get it out quick.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Pokeweed can grow to enormus heights, and you can't pull it. If it is in a spot that is appropriate, you can let it set berries. Birds love them, but then... they will spread the seeds of course. I usually yank it quickly!