Florida gardening impossible?!?!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Mrs. Galeassi, Apr 29, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am not sure 100% but has anyone tried using a anti-transpirant on their plants before they get any mildew/fungus on them? I have heard it is an excellent barrier against the spores landing and getting a foot hold on the leaf? Just a thought.
    Also keep leaves at least a foot above the ground so water from rain can't splash back up on the leaf adding to the problem. I pick all the leaves off the plant (especially tomatoes) about a foot above the soil.

2. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

Hmmm..... I haven't tried it. I also try and keep the leaves up off of the ground. I know a few people that use copper but that makes me a little nervous. I hope Ms. G had some success.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

"Hmmm..... I haven't tried it. I also try and keep the leaves up off of the ground. I know a few people that use copper but that makes me a little nervous. I hope Ms. G had some success."

Copper is not bad, but it is a heavy metal and should be used sparingly even though it is an organic spray. we rotate between synthetics and organics to keep down the resistance to any of them from developing.

4. Mrs. Galeassi

Mrs. Galeassi In Flower

Hey I have been doing that, keeping the leaves trimmed at the bottom I mean :) And that wasn't even why, I thought the plants looked nicer... haha.. :) But it makes perfect sence now that you mentioned it..... My garden isn't doing to bad with bugs and blight/fungus at the moment Eh yep probably jinxed myself.... So I put some holes in my pots on the sides and bottom for better draining and I became a fan of neem oil.... I mean it still happens but not anywhere near as bad. As for copper I've never even heard it being used for garden...... Have a great day and thanks for the tips and advice :)

Advertisement
  5. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

Yay!!!!!

I will research the copper a little more.