Freezing and thawing delphiniums, hollyhocks, foxglove seed

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by katfar3, Mar 22, 2013.

1. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

If I had seeds of these flowers and froze them,then thawed them and repeated this cycle for a few days, do you think they would germinate this spring? I know they won't bloom this year, but at least I would get a head start on next year.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Usually the seeds that need the freeze/thaw treatment (Stratification) are the hard seeds....Moonflower Vine, Morning Glory, Coneflower, etc. That usually takes several weeks/months to mimic nature.

You can also scarify them with a piece of sand paper or a small file, then soak them over night so the water has a chance get inside the hard shell and start the process.

I think the seeds you are talking about are all easy enough to get to germinate by soaking them over night in warm water. Or just sticking in the ground after the last frost in your area.

3. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

That would be great. Looking for some height to put in my new cottage garden. Have coneflower, and Shasta dais ies already up in the greenhouse. thanks.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

katfar, Those are biennials and will survive if you toss them out there in the bed now. Don't be afraid that it will hurt them. They will survive the winter as a plant, so the seed will too.

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm working on a cottage garden too! :p Need some hollyhock seeds?

katfar3 likes this.
  6. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Hi katfir,I've grown hollyhocks & delphiniums from seeds.Freeze the delphinium seeds for 5 days & then sow. They need darkness & cool temps for germination.I have sowed,then put in plastic bag & put in freezer. I don't think I waited 5 days either.I have picked up packet of hollyhocks & sowed them in individual little cups & set in cooler part of house & they always came right up.
    sewNsow

katfar3 likes this.
  7. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

Thanks, will try that. Had a flat of delphiniums sowed and the cat ( we call her "fat woman") was helping me in the greenhouse and knocked them to the ground. Big pile of soil and no idea where the seed were. Scooped it all up and laid the flat outside the greenhouse. Back to the drawing board for them.

8. katfar3

katfar3 New Seed

Would put them in the garden now Carolyn, but it isn't ready yet. Won't be ready to work on it until first of may. Wanted to have plants ready to go in so I could get an idea for placement. I know very few things that I have for bed will bloom this year, but next year for sure?