Frogs are digging up my plants...Help

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by islandgirl, Mar 8, 2008.

1. islandgirl

islandgirl New Seed

There are many frogs in Barbados. I was surprised when I first came here to find that out. Anyways, I have a couple of potted plants outside. Yesterday morning I found a frog covered in my newly germinating herb pot and totally destroyed the sprouts. And this morning they were in my dahlias, franigipani and some others.

I really don't know what to do to keep them away. I'm getting ready to prepare the soil in outside to start transplanting and I don't want them to ruin it. I'd be furious.

Please help. I looked around on the site but found people thrilled that the frogs were in there garden. I really don't know what do to.

2. Loading...

3. trudy

trudy In Flower

4. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

:stew1: I found this . . . .

http://www.english-gardening.com/green_ ... _frogs.htm

Well, here is something that might surprise you! After many hours on the phone speaking to "reptile professors" in Tallahassee, I found out that if you want to deter frogs without harming them (like I wanted to) all you do is spray a heavy concentrate of "SALT WATER" around the areas you don't want them. What happens is the salt will sting the feet and this makes em move out. Be careful if you have sensitive plants. I just wanted them off my ledges of my house and leaving their droppings. It worked like magic!
    - Lynne, Tampa Florida

5. islandgirl

islandgirl New Seed

Thank you so much for your help. I think I'll be trying the salt spray...seems like the easiest and cheapest. Will let you know how it works out.

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hello...I used to have some squirrels that would dig to bury things in my flower pots..I put some wire on the tops of the containers. Not the real stiff stuff but not the nylon either...they quit digging and destroying my pots...cut a hole in the wire where you have plants planted. I did this for my dog too. She used to dig up a flower bed and we lived on 3 acres and hard to keep tract of her so I put the wide hard wire down and she quit digging...Good luck.