Frost killed leaves and flowers on my Angel Trumpet, help

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by donna in nc, Oct 29, 2013.

1. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

On my angel trumpet the frost killed the leaves and flowers they are falling off should I cut the big stalk to the ground and mulch good? and can I use the stalk to make more cuttings to plant or is it useless? thank you in advance.

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I don't have any Angel Trumpets, however, I will throw my 2 cents in. Useless? Probably not, but a smidge earlier on your idea would have been a more comfortable timeframe. I imagine Brugsmanias can winter in Hudson, NC (zone 7a?) with enough mulch and……is this the plant's first winter? As for the stalks, you can cut them into 8" pieces and root them for next year. I like to root stuff in water because I can see results. You can also use rootone, some potting medium, and a nice home for the winter. With some TLC next spring you will have lots of trumpets, loud fanfare, a party. :) O.K..... gently celebrate the new plants. Pictures maybe? Anyway, thats my 2 cents. :) Good luck!!

Jerry

I never give up on plants.....thats why sick plants would mysteriously show up in front of my office door.

donna in nc likes this.
  4. AvaRose82

AvaRose82 Seedling

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Donna, I cover the roots with lots of straw. I use a whole bale on my big ones. My AT freeze completely but come back from the roots. Next spring uncover when night start warming up. They take a long time to show themselves so don't give up on them.

Advertisement
  6. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

jerry I like the loud fanfare lol this is a huge stalk but will cut it down and mulch it good and try starting the stalk in the house thank you all for the info

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Donna, Do you cut them down and then pile on the straw? how cold does it get there?