Fuscias don't do well, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Maria26, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Maria26

Maria26 New Seed

Hi,

I seem to have a habit of killing off fuscias. I've had a couple and they both have ended up dead and dried out. The last, which I only got in the summer, started losing its flowers very quickly and now is just brown twigs.

But down the road where I live are at least 2 houses which have huge fuscia bushes out the front which seem to be permanently in flower!

What am I doing wrong?? Does anyone have any tips to keep them alive, or know of any particularly hardy varieties?

Mine have both been small potted plants, so I wondered if they needed to have been planted in the ground?

Thanks for your help!

Maria

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maria I think this link will give you all the information you need about fuschias.

http://www.solentfuchsia.co.uk/hardy.html

When spring comes around let me know if you want any cuttings. I have a hardy one called Mrs Popple and could send some to you. If they survive up here then they'll survive almost anywhere!! ;)

4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I would knock on the neighbors' doors and ask! Most gardeners love to talk about their plants and are very generous with info and plants. They won't live here because of the heat, but that's probably not the issue yours are having. Good luck!

5. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

That's one plant I've given up on.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Maria, I agree with purple, Go ask the neighbor what he/she does to have such a nice plant. I am sure that person would enjoy talking about it. Some people have mucho plant skills and no one to share them with. We grew them in the greenhouse, but I don't remember them being difficult to grow. Does yous get too much sun? does it dry out too much? perhaps it get powdery mildew and before you realize what the problem is the plant it dead. look closely at it on a regular basis to see if there are any insects such as spider mites or powdery mildew spots. Treat as needed ASAP.

7. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Yea, best thing to do is 1. ask your neighbors 2. check your plants throughly.
    I have never had fuchsias cause over here they do tend to be fussy.
    Indeed, greenhouse/nursery grown ones look yummy but after people take them home it's like they miss their old home and just die.
    I've heard stories!

Same with some tomatoes I buy in the supermarket and if I leave them in the fridge for a couple of days they look terrible :)
    WHERE do they keep tomatoes to look so -just-picked-off-plant?

8. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

From my experience when the fuchsia, Maria is planted in the earth are vivid and without problems, however, the winter should be remove from the earth to not freeze, but when planted in tubs then things change,,, where the soil does not need to be kept moist, the plant also should not be in too much sun, especially in summer....................

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Calin, never put your tomatoes in the fridge. Keep them cool, but not cold. This deteriorates their flavor instantly.

10. MChester

MChester New Seed

Same with me :'(

11. gkwilsongardens

gkwilsongardens New Seed

Keep them moist and not water logged, full sun is also good, always use fresh potting compost also liquid feed every fortnight in the growing season. If they are not hardy you will have to bring them inside out of frosts harm.