Garden designers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by vrhomeandgarden, Oct 10, 2016.

1. vrhomeandgarden

vrhomeandgarden New Seed

How long have you been a garden designer?
    For some, maybe it's very recent and for others maybe 30 years+.
    I'm just trying to gauge how long it takes before you are considered a garden designer and what it takes to become one.

2ofus likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Whoa, gardens are supposed to be designed???

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Designing?? I don't think it works. I research how tall and wide a plant is suppose to grow, light needs, etc. and it will grow 2 feet high. I plant accordingly with shorter plants in front and taller in back....and the stupid plant grow 3 1/2 feet tall! Or the opposite and is only 1 foot tall! I would call myself a shuffler of plants not a designer.

waretrop likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I agree with Toni and 2ofus--gardens are to be enjoyed, not "designed". I've seen gardens laid out by landscapers (boring) and by nurseries (rigid and usually over planted). The best gardens are planted by someone who loves plants, sticks them in where the plants want to be, and doesn't worry about color coordination or foliage contrast. It may be slightly chaotic, but then, so is Mother Nature!

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I kinda of planned my garden in that I did account for sun and shade and size in that I planted the taller growing plant in the middle high part and the lower plants in front. I found, however, that soon as my plants roots hit my soil they all developed minds of their own and totally disregarded everything I ever read about them. :) Some grew way bigger than anticipated while others grew way slower and/or faster than planned sooooooo any planning on my part was purely an exercise in wishful thinking ;) :) :) :)

waretrop, marlingardener and 2ofus like this.
  7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Gardening has been trial and error for me with not too many errors lately after gardening 30 years. You will just learn which plants grow well in your area and stick with them. One summer we had squirrels eating plants in my containers on the deck, I just quit planting them and they left the containers alone.
    I did use better homes and gardens website where you could lay out a plan on where to put flower beds and trees in the beginning. But then I went crazy with trees here...it really paid off because in the summer months before the leaves fall off of the Lilacs we have great privacy when we are sitting outdoors. I did most of my planning in my head...I wish I could just relax but I am always coming up with different things to do...My husband appreciates me because I always think projects out and find the easier way to do them. I guess watching so many garden shows and fix it shows years ago paid off.
    One of the most important things to do is read the tags on plants, shrubs, etc. and just like Islandlife said you can plant them according to the tag but some just have a mind of their own and stay shorter or grow taller than you had wanted. You can always move things and most gardeners do.

Frank likes this.
  8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I would like to add that I garden how I like to garden, I really don't care if others like it. You can never please everyone and someone always has a different way. I use the flowers I like and with liking so many colors , I kind of go crazy sometimes.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Islandlife, I agree that most plants don't read their own tags! I've planted roses touted as 3'x4' and found out that 6'x5' is more likely; "non-invasive" means it will take two years to consume your garden, not just one year; and well-behaved shrubs aren't well-behaved at all! But, that's part of the joy of gardening.
    Sherry8, some of my plants came with luggage, they have been moved around so much. Either they are too big for the space, or the wrong color ( many pink plants in one area gets boring), or the plant isn't happy at that site and lets me know!
    I love gardening and experimenting, especially with vegetables and annual flowers (hint, if you don't want cosmos forever, don't plant them in the first place).
    About the only thing I plan is how much of the housework I can put off so I can go play outside!

2ofus and Islandlife like this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Mmmm,, Didn`t know that was a requirement. I had better go tell the plants.

Cayuga Morning and waretrop like this.
  11. vrhomeandgarden

vrhomeandgarden New Seed

Hi all,

Thanks for the great replies.

Some very interesting opinions and I have to say it's a personal thing when it comes to garden "Designs". I agree that they are a labour of love and can be a very creative expression. For some it's a chore, (that probably means getting someone else to do it for you!) and for others it's a passion.

I'm slowly building a picture here but I guess it's wrong to imagine a designer per se, as I have seen some pretty impressive gardens that have been created by hobbyists with no professional gardening or landscaping background and those of pro designers that make their living creating awesome garden exhibits.

Thanks again everyone :)

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Those last three words "awesome garden exhibits" are the difference between gardeners and designers. Gardeners don't make exhibits, we let the plants talk to us about where they want to live in the garden and walking through a garden center they certainly do talk to us "take me, I have to come home with you, your garden is my destiny"
    My belief is that any garden designer (or interior home designer for that matter) would turn around and walk quickly away shaking their head in despair after looking at my garden (or rooms of our home).
    :)

13. Kevin Koh

Kevin Koh New Seed

Thanks for the information.

14. Hasadurks

Hasadurks New Seed

That`s a great description of the difference between gardeners and designers; I like this part much " we let plants talk to us about where they want to live in the garden" that's an excellent way to place plants in the right spot.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Wait....what? o_O

You're supposed to design your garden? o_O You're supposed to create garden exhibits? o_O

;):smt043 Jeez. Don't come to my house then. I'm just tickled when everything I plant actually takes root and grows! I have a very loose plan in mind...as in, I think I'll put the roses over HERE, and the clematis THERE, and then dig in the rest of them and see what happens!

waretrop likes this.
  16. vrhomeandgarden

vrhomeandgarden New Seed

Great replies, thanks everyone, but I'd better do more research so I don't get shown up for my lack of knowledge :)
    Still though, it's very much a personal thing with people and to what extent they involve themselves in garden creation or design as a past-time, hobby or something serious.

Take care all :)