Garden designers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by vrhomeandgarden, Oct 10, 2016.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually I think you are looking for a 'garden for pay' forum rather than a forum of home gardeners who create their own gardens for the love of it.

Cayuga Morning and waretrop like this.
  2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

toni, You are too funny.......

All I can say is.....Honey we need to get out and move that plant..before the tour......it's too big for where YOU put it.....LOL

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I guess I am too late to this party. Just as well. I just take my plants, throw them up in the air & where they land is where they stay.

marlingardener and 2ofus like this.
  4. Julia_Garden

Julia_Garden New Seed

1 year for design and studying more.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I volunteered at local college--weeding, planting, pruning, generally doing whatever needed doing. The gardens had been laid out (designed) by a local nurseryman who specialized in native plants. I learned a lot about natives, and I also learned that those who design gardens usually haven't cared for them.
    Plants got too big for their space; plants naturalized all over, causing chaos; native grasses welcomed weeds with open arms; and most of the beds were difficult to work in since everything was either overgrown or had thorns.
    Garden designers and landscape designers ought to have two years caring for a garden they have designed. It will be any eye-opening experience!

6. Cayuga Morning

MG I bet you are right! Are you glad you to have had the experience you did? You said you learned a lot. I ask because I am about to retire & I am contemplating taking the master gardener certificate program. Mainly just for the fun of it. It is 1/2 day of class spring & fall & then volunteer gardening during the summer. What do you think?

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, all I can offer is my own experience with the Master Gardener program here in Texas. We are not Master Gardeners. I learned a lot by getting into the dirt, learning about plants, and reading up.
    The Master Gardener program to which we taught classes (native plants, plant propagation) was basically a garden club. They were more interested in getting free plants, having lunch, and taking trips than in gardening, teaching gardening, and having community outreach.
    I'd suggest sitting in on a few classes, see if it is a fit with what you want to do. If not, there may be other outlets for your talents.
    I am glad I did the volunteer work at the college, and I'm glad that I learned that designing a garden and having a garden are two totally different things!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A few years ago at a local thrift store I bought a Master Gardener book and notebook that had been used by a MG student in west Texas and while growing things out there is more difficult than here, I really didn't see anywhere near as much good information on how-to garden as I have learned by myself in my years of gardening and being on GardenStew. Plus the cost of the class is ridiculous.
    A few years ago I went to 4 classes at the local Jr. College taught by local Master Gardeners......one didn't know the botanical names of her plants (which means she should have tried harder) , one was too in awe of Japanese gardens and one did not know the common names of his plants much less the botanical. When asked all he could answer was I really do not know....not he didn't remember, he didn't know to begin with.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I share your pain! We were teaching a class on native plants and one of the Master Gardeners brought in a huge garbage bag to share the contents with the other gardeners. The contents were English Ivy. Let's all get something terribly invasive . . . .
    Then there was the other member who had weeds to share--the little poinsettia type weed Euphorbia of some sort) that takes over if you aren't diligent about eradicating it. It may be considered a "wild flower" but around here it's a weed!

10. Cayuga Morning

Oh dear....this doesn't sound good. I actually do know a lot about gardening already. I certainly know my way around common & botanical names of all the plants I grow.What I was looking for were propagation tips for roses, azaleas, etc Organic pest control techniques, etc.
    MG, I like your idea of sitting in on a few classes first before making a commitment.

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, your county agricultural agent usually oversees the Master Gardener program. He/she should have a copy of the curriculum that you could look over to see how much time is devoted to what interests you.
    Frankly, I think you could teach a class rather than taking a class!

12. Cayuga Morning

MG, thank you for your vote of confidence! I also like your idea of checking out the curriculum. I got this idea partly from my last year in college. My last semester I had electives to fulfill. I took Veg Crops 101 in the Ag school. (It met T, TH SATURDAY @8:00 AM!!!!) The"lab" consisted of working in the greenhouses. I loved it & really learned a lot about farming. I had been gardening since I was a little kid, but that course really piqued my interest.