Garden Shed Recomendations please :o)

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by rococo, Feb 8, 2010.

1. rococo

rococo New Seed

I've had to replace my shed, 3 times in the past 5 years, they keep rotting or warping!! As you can imagine this is becoming very frustrating.

So i'm looking for some reccomendations as i've lost all faith in the Hardware Superstores. I'm thinking some form of metal would be the way to go, as the last PVC shed i bought has also warped.

What i really need is advice from some pro's. So there you go guys, please help if you can.

Cheers :stew1: :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

My husband built ours from scratch...we had to stay a certain size because of ordinances so we went and put a loft in it. You can stand on a ladder in the center and reach up to things on the sides of the top...I do know it is very important to use the pressure treated wood on the bottom because of the weather. Good luck to you. We used to have metal sheds too but they just don't last very long. We do have shingles on our roof of the one we built. Just like a small house...no windows but we did purchase a roll up door from Menards.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our shed sits on level ground with slabs on it. We've bolted it into the concrete. This ensures the wood is less likely to rot then if positioned directly on the soil. We made sure it was made from pressure treated wood as Sherry's is and that we coat it with wood preservative every year. The only thing we've had to replace is the roofing felt but that was years ago.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our metal shed was in the yard when we bought the house 23 years ago and I think it had been there for close to 10 years before that. The doors don't slide open and closed as easily as they used to, but we painted the rusted thing with Rust-Oleum and it still looks pretty good.

I would love to have a nice rustic looking wooden one but that is mostly a dream of mine.