Gardens for $$

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I belong to a community service organization that raises funds for literacy. One of the events we have is a garden tour. This year the focus was on dahlias. Weather was fantastic and we sold out our tickets.

Only took my small camera but these were some of my own favourite dahlias from the garden I hosted at.

4.JPG

3.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

17.JPG

This little fellow was also present. Very calm and friendly he enjoyed greeting everybody who arrived :) :)

Baxter2.JPG

Baxter1.JPG

This was the raffle. An original hummingbird carved by one of our local carvers.

DSC_0006.JPG

Frank, Tooty2shoes, Sjoerd and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What lovely flowers, what a lovely idea to have a garden tour fund raiser for such a worthy cause, and how very good of you to help out.
    I'd buy every raffle ticket to make sure I got that hummer carving. That is one talented person, and such generosity to donate something that must have taken hours and hours, not to mention artistic ability!

Islandlife likes this.
  4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I would have loved to tour that garden. What beautiful Dahlias! I know I would have bought as many raffle tickets as I could (if Jane didn't buy them all first :suspicious:) as that carving is the best thing I've seen offered at a raffle.

Islandlife likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

This was the 3rd year our group had a day of garden tours. Five gardens are toured between 10am and 3pm. The first 2 years we organized the tours for June. This year we opted for August (thinking dahlias) and crossed our collective fingers they'd all be out in bloom and the weather would be good. Weather was PHENOMENAL and all the gardens were out and BLOOMING :) :)

My group lined the long country driveway with pinwheels

DSCN0277.JPG

We gave away rhinestone encrusted "bugs"

DSCN0312.JPG

And offered thirst quenching lemonade

DSCN0316.JPG

At last count we have raised a substantial amount that will all go to promote literacy in our local area.

And IF I had of been allowed (but I wasn't) I would have bought out all the tickets for the carving too!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a wonderful idea for a very worthy cause. I love those vibrant colours of the dahlias - especially the 'pom pom' ones. Cute little terrier too who seemed to be enjoying the day out at the garden tour.
    The windmills and the rhinestone, freebie bugs are great but most of all I'm drooling over that carving. If I'd won the raffle I would have found a spot for it in my garden where it would have had pride of place. :smt045

Islandlife likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, those dahlias are beautiful. Nice selection of colors. Just what I would like to have for my cut flower garden.

Islandlife likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really liked your piccies and story about the event. You guys did such a good job there. I especially liked seeing the dahlias. Some of them I have grown myself in the past.
    Good initiative ... and chapeau!

Islandlife likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Gorgeous Dahlia's, cute puppy, and I love those painted 'bugs'!

Islandlife likes this.
  10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

All I can say is WOW I love them all. Especially the little fuzzy faced flower. Is that a mix or a Griffon? That is really great that your group cares that much about helping others be able to read. I would love to grow them in my garden as well. But I never can get them to winter over in my basement, or garage. Oh well, I sure enjoyed looking at yours.

Islandlife likes this.