Garlic

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by EJ, Jun 10, 2008.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Look at these beauts. We have horrid allium white rot on our allotment site so it is very hard to grow garlics and onions successfully, but I just about manage. This is the first half of my harvest, all lovely and clean, a variety called purple neck I believe. Should keep the vampires away!

[​IMG]

p.s. I have posted some more pics on the danbury open gardens thread. :)

2. Loading...

3. louisiana-blooms

louisiana-blooms Seedling

oh gosh ! thats nice ...i never tried growing garlic is it true it takes about 9 months to grow ?

4. EJ

I guess it does. Here in the UK we plant is around October/November time so it suffers the winter chills so it can develop its split cloves. We then harvest anytime from June to August.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Lovely specimens...all laid-out there.
    They don't look ill to me. I really hate that white rot. That's why I can't grow garlic and when I do grow onions, I only get about ¼ of what I planted harvested.:?

Advertisement
  6. EJ

Same here Sjoerd, and I have never successfully grown spring onions or scallions as they just rot away. This year though, I have sown them in a trench of fresh compost just to see if they survive. It is a pain, but doesn't affect the leeks!

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That tactic may well work. I have to do domething similar when I grow brassicas because of clubroot---and it always works.
    Good luck with those leeks.
    My leek plantlets are still waaaaaay too small to transplant.

8. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I know I planted garlic back last oct but haven't looked at them yet. Though there are 3 of them up out of 9. I did plant more in May of this year but didn't realize it takes 9 months to harvest. Should I do something different with those ones??

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

What a beautiful harvest! We planted some garlic last fall, guess I should check on it :) This is only the 2nd time I've tried it so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ;)
    Deanna
    :-D

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your harvest. I've tried to remember to put some in the ground in autumn, but I keep forgetting.

11. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I have my garlic planted over at Selnes, i guess i should check on them, its been a while since i was over there. I also started some in a container this month, i'll let it sit out all summer and way into dec. for a good freeze, then bring the container in the house and just as were running out of garlic, i have another batch ready by feb-march. If the lot is ready over at Selnes, then i compost, work the dirt for a few weeks and replant by the end of July. It gives the earth time to rest.

12. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Wow, that looks great. I didn't realize it takes 9 months. Good luck with the rest.