Get rid of ants in compost bin

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by dallen207, Jul 25, 2009.

1. dallen207

dallen207 New Seed

How do I safely get rid of a colony of tiny ants that has taken up residence in my compost bin. Turning it over every day does not deter them. They crawl on me when I open the lid, and the compost is full of them and their eggs!!! I would rather not use insecticide. Thanks

moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ants in there usually means the compost is too dry. Moisten it and roll it several times to break up their nest, it may take a few days for them to leave. And with ants in the yard they may return to the compost bin eventually.

Ants can actually benefit the composting process by bringing fungi and other organisms into their nest. And their moving minerals around in the compost makes it enricher in phosphorus and potassium.

4. dallen207

dallen207 New Seed

Thanks - I just added some water and turned it all over - The top has some holes in it and is supposed to allow enough water inside and since it has rained so much this summer, I haven't been adding any water. It's good to know they add beneficial nutrients, if only they wouldn't climb all over me when I open it.