Goin' in!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Ronni, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

15698205_10158022789880387_3480104112453795303_n.jpg

I think the instructions must originally have been written in mandarin, translated to swahili by an aborigine, and then sent to a chinese person to translate to english. Good Lord! :eek:

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good luck Ronni! Let us know how that turns out! :snicker:

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks Netty. It's not rocket science or anything, but I don't have an intuitive sense about this kind of thing the way some folks do. I get confused with the relationship of one piece to another, and can't visualize how it all goes together to form a coherent whole, even with instructions. There's a word for what I struggle with. Not dyslexia but something similar...I have no trouble at all reading or anything like that. My old office chair broke or I wouldn't be embarking on this! Ugh.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe picturing your behind hitting the hard floor when the legs come off will help you visualize the finished product? Good luck!!!!
    I need a new desk chair too but I am cheap and get one already put together from the thrift store.:)

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you're anything like me Ronni you'll have a couple of bits left over that don't seem to fit. I usually get it right on the second attempt though after it's collapsed on the first. :smt053 Have fun!! If all else fails hit it with a hammer.:smt021

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

She's goin' in folks. Tie a red thread to your apron string, so that you can find your way back out. I don't mind assembling furniture too much, but I wonder why this type of thing couldn't have stayed the same as in the old days. hahaha. My parents and grandparents still have stuff that was made eons ago and it all still functions. When you bought a cabinet---it was assembled. When you bought a chair---it was assembled. Table---same thing.

I mean these furniture people are getting it both ways---first you pay them for a product that is not complete--and then you have to assemble it yourself ! Ever wonder why we don't charge THEM money to assemble the incomplete product when we but these articles? Can you imagine the shock they'd get when a bill would arrive at their store or factory.

Hahahaha---your thread really set me off, didn't it.

7. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I know what you mean. I had a business installing and repairing office furniture. I used to install those office work stations etc. and the chairs like yours would all come in little boxes. I once hired two guys to help install furniture, I got enough money for the cardboard boxes to pay for them.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Hahaha. Didn't need the hammer thankfully!

I remember a Tim Allen stand-up comedy routine. He talked about the "important looking @#$% left over" from putting stuff together. Luckily there weren't many parts to the chair, and there were only a couple of spare screws left that they thoughtfully included ... in case I lost one, or stripped one, or the cat ate one or something I suppose.

It's done. I'm sitting on it as I type. Let's hope I've put it together well, or toni, you're right, my ass is gonna hit the floor any time now!!! ;)

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I refuse to put furniture together largely cause I'd suck at it. If the store won't put it together I'm not buying it ;) and/or I'll happily buy same thing from a Thrift Store and/or from somebody who is moving and selling. Lots of my furniture and stuff is old(er). Most is very sturdy, going to last longer than me, looks decent and other than bringing it home I've had no hassle with it at all :) :)