Good King Henry

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Cayuga Morning, May 6, 2016.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Has anyone had experience growing Good King Henry? I am trying to grow it as an experiment.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

No, that's a totally new one to me. Keep us up on how the experiment goes and how it tastes and how you prepare it when you get your crop.
    It is in our database Chenopodium bonus-henricus so adding your knowledge of growing it will be great.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

What is it ?

Red Audrey likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Mart, to tell you the truth, I really don't know. I have never seen it or eaten it! My daughter picked out the seeds from the Fedco seed catalog. Variously, it is called 'Poor man's asparagus' or 'Lincolnshire Spinach'. It is a perennial and known as a 'pot herb', greens you throw into stews.
    Here is the description from Fedco: Good King Henry Open-pollinated perennial, Zone 3-9, also known as Lincolnshire Spinach. Used as a potherb, one of the first greens of spring and one of the last of fall. Ancient plant used in festive meals, in meat dishes and as a side dish, very popular in Europe before it was supplanted by spinach. Not named for any specific king, instead Henry comes from the germanic haganrich (literally ‘king of the hedge,’ supposedly a name for a gremlin with goose’s feet that helps around the house and puts things where they belong. I could use one of those!) Cultured, harvested and prepared much like asparagus and considered a great delicacy. Gather shoots while they are still tender at about 5" high, peel and boil, or harvest the dark green arrow-shaped leaves like spinach. Prefers rich soil in semi-shady areas, though will grow in full sun. Stratify seeds: fluctuation of high and low temperatures aids germination. Direct sow in spring or fall or transplant very young seedlings in spring. Once established the plants don’t like transplanting. Like asparagus, requires a year of growth before plants can be harvested. If left uncut, stalks grow to 2½'. [​IMG]

What do you think? Sounds like a long term proposition, doesn't it? I suppose I could harvest some leaves this year (like spinach) but wait until next year to harvest the first spears.

Toni, I will add info about it to the GS data base, but I think the latin name is different: Blitum bonus-henricus

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually, those two names are synonyms for each other and since Frank already has the other one in the database add your info to that one. I'll put the syn. on the page too.

7. Cayuga Morning

Good to know & thanks Toni.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Mmm,, Sounds like something I would like. I would try it. That shade part sounds good to me,,I have plenty of that. I am going to look it up tomorrow and see what I can find out about it and look on ebay for seed.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cool mart! I have extra seeds I can send you. They need to be stratified before sowing. Would you like some?

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

It may already be too hot here in Texas. I do not know what growing conditions they need. But sure,, I love seeds of anything edible. If they like part shade,,I have a perfect spot. Can`t get anything to grow there because of the shade. Anything I have that you need and can`t find ? Most garden seed is cheap here but its just the standard stuff planted every year. I have plenty of cantaloupe, corn, (peaches and cream an excellent bi-color with good size ears and amazing sweetness),and some others. Standard stuff.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Thanks mart. Frankly I am awash in seeds. Our community garden does a group order to Fedco (that's where I got the GKH seeds), and our local library has a seed loaning program. Does yours? I think the libe program is great because most of us have more seeds than we need. You just take the left over seeds to the library with a write up about growing conditions & leave them.

So PM me your address. We can compare notes with our success (or lack of it!) with Good King Henry.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

No,,our library does not as far as I know. Only seed trading and such is between our local gardeners.
    I am anxious to try this since my spinach is not the best this year. Hubby`s son does all our plowing and he has covered it up twice this year. Can`t say anything because he works his tail off on our stuff. Just doesn`t know a lot about gardens. I will PM you with address. Thanks so much !!

13. Cayuga Morning

Oh dear. Rather frustrating!