Good news and even better news!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Kiasmum, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Since mid-January I have been struggling to cope with double-vision and general dizziness 24/7 so after realising that enough was enough I rang the eye clinic and asked if this was normal? A lovely charge-nurse took my details and said he would talk to someone who might know and call me back.About an hour later I took a call from one of the receptionists offering me not 1 but 2 appointments for last Thursday morning.So Mark and I turned up at the appropriate time and my first appointment was with an Orthoptist(had to google it and see what they do).What a lovely lady and after a little discussion and an eye test(where Mark was shocked that all I could see were 2 enormous letters) and me describing where my spare images were she produced a set of prisms and held them to my eye.As she moved it down in stages the two images gradually came together and I now have an equivalent piece of plastic prism attached to my left lens and no more double vision at long distances!!!

The next appointment was with the surgeon,whom I had not previously met as he had been on a sabbatical in New-Zealand back in October.After another good examination with the annoyingly bright lights he concluded that the double vision is almost certainly caused by the cataract which is now forming and unlikely to be caused by the "scaffolding" which was the first attempt at reattaching the retina-this is a relief as that can be tricky to remove and which might,potentially,lead to another detachment.So the outcome was that I am now on the waiting list for the cataract removal! Hurrah!!

Roll forward to yesterday morning and the postman delivering a letter from the hospital informing me that my Pre-op assessment for surgery is on March 17th(2 weeks today).When I rang to confirm I was told that Mr McCormack had listed me as an urgent case(but didn't tell me that...) and after yesterday's scheduling meeting I had a call to say that unless circumstances change the date for the cataract removal is April 1st.Not knowing about the urgency I had expected to have to wait for months not weeks so I am a very very happy Bunny indeed as is Mark as it's been a tough few months for us both.

Jewell and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I had cateracts removed from both eyes baqck in 2006 and my wife had hers done this last fall. I got the basic lenses that Medicare paid for and my wife got the ones that correct both long and short vision. She has worn reading glasses sinc she was a teenager, and now she wears none at all.

Kiasmum likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm so glad you decided to do something about your vision and feeling dizzy. It's good that you were given such quick appointments and that, before too long, everything should be back on track for you so that you can begin to enjoy life again. Good luck on 1st April and keep us updated, when you can, about how your surgery went. There's nothing worse than suffering with problems that affect you daily life.

Kiasmum likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My DH had cataract surgery back in 2008. He said it was like looking at a whole new world! Good luck on the 1st - you'll be thrilled with the results!

Kiasmum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well bless your heart, you've had a time of it! Cataract surgery is so routine now that there's no need to worry, especially since you have such an experienced surgeon.
    A friend recently had a cataract removed and she is now reading signs at a distance, getting back into gardening, and has a big smile on her face all the time.
    You will be smiling, too as will Mark. Best wishes to you both, and may you see a happy summer ahead.

Kiasmum likes this.
  7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Can I ask you what you picked? Better closer vision or far vision? I wanted to see better up close but I think they goofed because I can see better far. I guess I am one of the few without better results than when I went in. Good Luck to you. Our neighbor had his cataract surgery and about a month afterwards had to go back and have a cataract laser surgery. I guess it had grown back that fast. I was told I have one growing again .
    It sounds like you had so much going on...our eyes are very precious and when vision is gone you really miss it. I am glad they could help you.

Kiasmum likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Kiasmum-- I am so glad you have gotten yourself diagnosed & it is a cataract. I wish you well with your upcoming surgery & am happy that you will once again be able to see well!

Kiasmum likes this.
  9. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Thank you all for your good wishes.Looking back,and as hindsight is a wonderful thing I'm sorry I didn't question the double vision a bit earlier but I certainly can't complain with the outcome.

Sherry,I'm sorry that your op hasn't worked as you hoped that it would:(.From the conversation with the surgeon he is going to match the vision in my right eye so ,for the first time,possibly since I started wearing glasses aged 15,I will have the same sight in both eyes.He asked if I wanted contact lenses but judging from the look on my face quickly discounted them as an option:D.I am assuming that because this cataract is directly related to having had the gas bubble to cure the detachment I'm unlikely to get another in the future-this is my understanding anyway.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

That is great news Kiasmum......I know I am one of the few with problems and I have switched doctors to make sure I get better care. That sounds great that they can do so many wonderful things. Now I would of liked to not have to wear glasses but the surgery here is expensive. Keep in touch here on the stew when you have it done so we know how things are going.:)

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I had one cataract removed about a year ago. Going to have the other one in the near future. Your going to see everything is brighter and sharper. It was almost to bright after surgery until I got use to it.

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery and the best eyesight possible.

13. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

Donna,I already have trouble with bright sunlight...ho hum :)

Thank you 2ofus.