Good recipe for spaghetti sauce?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by margie12u, Jul 24, 2009.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hello Gang well I went to my garden today come back in with all the stuff I needed to make my salsa , and spaghetti sauce, It smells so good in here, Any one have a good recipe for spaghetti sauce? I had to do something with all my tomatoes, Everyone have a good day.

Margie :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. emystx

emystx New Seed

Try Italian style...after boiling the spaghetti in water with a bit of oil and salt....try boiling some ground beef, a lot of chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, and chopped celery in equal amounts,...boil till the tomato skins fall off from the pulp....add some salt and pepper according to taste...add some chopped garlic if you like..when this is done, turn off the flame and add some extra virgin olive oil for a real Italian flavor...

4. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

This is a wonderful spaghetti sauce recipe to can.

1 gallon tomatoes, peeled. (I drop mine in boiling water briefly, and the skins just slip off!)
    1 tsp. salt
    2 to 3 Tablespoons sugar
    1 can tomato paste
    1 big or 4 small sweet peppers, chopped fine.
    2 tsp. chili powder
    1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    1 Tablespoon minced basil
    1 hot pepper pod (on top)

Cook in crockpot overnight. Discard pepper pod. Place sauce in hot pint jars, and let seal. If you do this in a regular pot on the stove, simmer six ours before putting in jars to seal.

5. enkagrl

enkagrl New Seed

You can make your own tomato paste if you have a dehydrator. Just add some tomato sauce made from pureed tomatoes onto one of those dehydrator sheets and stick it in the dehydrator.. It makes something similar in texture to a fruit rollup, called "tomato leather" - You can keep it in a vacuum sealed bag & it'll last for years, just like beef jerky. :) If you're trying to stay away from the processed stuff & canned items..

In regards to how I make mine.. I just add garlic, basil, onions and "italian herb" seasoning to taste.. Maybe add a bit of hot peppers, because I like things that are spicy. I don't like sweet tomatoes.. So I don't ever add sugar.

If you are going to can, don't water bath can tomato sauce... Pressure can it.. I'm sure you already knew that, but, just saying, just in case. :) Especially if it has meat in it.

Here's a tomato leather recipe: http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/basic-t ... ef=p_title

There's a video out there that I've seen about making it, I just can't seem to find it at the moment, sorry!!