Gourd Art

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by bethie, Jan 3, 2007.

1. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Netty- the color should last forever. The black leather dye is permanent. The leaves are just the gourd itself. The sealer is a krylon UV protectant that could be resprayed if needed.
    Prim-your gourd is beautiful. I think we are going to cut one off and drill holes and weave a top. Hubby seems very interested in that. He made a beautiful lattice cut out on one.
    Cajunbelle- I don't even know where that goes. I might have to wait till our gnome gets back to Sweden.

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Thanks Bethie. I've never tried to do any crafts with my gourds...they always end up going into the compost. I just wondered though, will the gourd itself last forever? I imagine it would be quite delicate?

3. bethie

bethie Young Pine

These gourds should last a zillion years. These are cured hard-shelled gourds. Not the colored warty mix you see on a table in the fall. Sometimes it can take a year to cure a big gourd. I cure mine in a fairly open shop on chicken wire stretched between two sawhorses. Some have been out there for three or four years just waiting for a makeover.