Grafting Tomatoes Project : update

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by carolyn, Mar 26, 2013.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Has anyone done any grafting on tomatoes? I am giving it a try, but thought I would ask for any pointers if anyone had any....will take pictures as I go along...success or failure.

Since I started this I was doing so with no previous experience and "winging it" so to speak. Checking out youtube vids and reading about it on a tomato growers forum.

Here is the project thus far:

Rootstock tomatoes a variety specifically grown for grafting.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

This is the scion. I am starting with celebrity for the experience and because this is what matched up in size to the rootstock.
    [​IMG]

these are the grafting clips. They are silicone. one side is slit and the othe side is the pressure point to open the slit to insert the stem into.
    [​IMG]

I pinched the tube so you could see the open side. This squeezes tightly to the stem once the pressure is released from the opposite side.

[​IMG]

The tomatoes are then cut with a very sharp knife or a razor blade. A razor is recommended, but my knife was brand new and had never been used, so I used what I had for a cutting instrument. Both the root stock and the scion are cut at a light angle.
    [​IMG]

The clip is then squeezed and placed on the rootstock and the scion is slid gently into the top of the tube until it touches the rootstock section. I twisted it slightly to line up the edges, I also trimmed a few of the larger leaves off the scion so the plant wasn't trying to support unnecessary tissue.

The first one is done.

[​IMG]

Once I had the 9 done that I could match up in size, I placed them in their "hospital" to regenerate. I misted the plants and the inside of the container, closed the lid and sat them on the floor underneath the bench.

[​IMG]

Day TWO.....
    [​IMG]

Looking fine so far. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am very pleased so far.None of them have wilted and I even found one of the boxes slightly tipped over and the tomatoes in that box were curved from growing up for the day. I must have nudged the boxes with the hose as I was watering this morning and didn't notice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3: looks much like day 2. no wilting. Yay!

day 8: I think this was a failure. Try again!

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

carolyn keiper, What are you going to add to what???? Do tell.....sounds interesting.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, I bought rootstock seed and germinated it, (this is a special seed, not one that you could grow and eat the fruit), grafting clips (little silicone "tube like" structures) and the seed varieties I wanted to graft. I started the seeds about 6 weeks ago (they are sloooow to germinate and grow) and started the other tomatoes (kind of at the wrong time, but I am making it work). I am looking to make a tomato that has a stronger overall plant than the plant with its original root system. This rootstock material grows a huge root system allowing for more nutrient and water uptake and hopefully be a stronger more disease resistant plant. I grow a pink tomato that is an excellent tomato, but keels over way too fast in the garden every year, it gets the late blight and quits producing. so.... I am venturing out here into the unknown for me. Next I will try fruit tree grafting...