Grape hyacinths

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Apr 19, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Have you had your small grape hyacinths self seed? I never have until last year. The year before I ordered and planted Giant Hyacinths. Could these be what are seeding? I've tried to look it up but couldn't find out much. Just curious as I'll be quicker on dead-heading this year, just in case.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Grape hyathyins and the wild hyathyins self sow freely where I live and are considered a nuisance by many. I've had them seed and grow between the patio pavers and heavily laid and packed gravel. I sometimes enjoy the blooms before pulling the whole plant up, or what will come easily. I am a pretty lazy gardener and in my yard they have naturalized in several areas to be mown after they bloom.

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

They have now moved out into the roadside verge from our garden. Absolute seed weed thugs for us.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow. I have trouble keeping both grape hyacinths & regular hyacinths alive after the first year or two!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It has me scratching my head, because like Palustris--mine self seed like mad...to the point of invasive-ness. I also got rid of hands-full of them this spring. I put them over on the slope of the train trestle across the canal from me. Now, if they come up, I can enjoy them form a distance.

Yes, you could try a different location and perhaps work the ground to make it loose and add some compost. It might help.

They like moist ground that not very rich, and is of a neutral pH to a bit limey (chalky). A bit of shade is not a bad thing.
    These are conditions that you can create yourself. I believe that it is worth a try.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Sjoerd! I think I will try them again. My famly used to grow them when I was a child, & they did very well for us back then.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké then.
    I forgot to tell you that in my garden, where I originally planted them, they did nothing and eventually just disappeared. The next place in the garden ~16m NE from the original place I planted them and they went absolutely nuts!

I hope you will have success, I have no reason to suspect otherwise for you.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Good to know Sjoerd. Our soil tends to be acidic. I'll try a different place.

By the way, have you ever grown litchi tomatoes? A friend grew them last year & I sampled one. Interesting flavor, a cross between a tomato & a cherry. They grow 5 feet tall with thorns. I am trying to start some from seeds & having a bit of trouble. I plan to contact the seed house to see what they suggest.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Now CM, that is a good adventure! I have never tried litchi toms. There are not a large variety that I can try actually...my new trials ought to have some sort of resistance to disease, as tom and and spud blight is all too common here.

I am excited for you and will be really interested to learn how they will work this season. Nat6urally, I would like to see some piccies when there is something to photograph.

My soil tends to be slightly on the acid side of neutral. We may have similar soils.

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I work for a man who has a complete circle of grape hyacinths around a pink flowering tree.