Growing instructions for Kaffir lily (Schizostylis)

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I bought this lily yesterday and I am getting very confusing instructions on how to grow them. Do any of you grow this lily? The label says 6 hours of sun. But I read online that it is grown under trees or shady part of the garden. Also confused about if I need to bring it in for the winter.Please advice.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. adam.ca
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

One of our members has grown Schizostylis coccinea 'Strawberry'
    I don't know if this is the same species and cultivar you have but the information she posted should cover all of the Genus.

Many times the info on line is from varying parts of the country where growing conditions might be different from yours. I know down here if plant info says Sun to Part Shade then I lean towards the Part Shade because of the intensity of the sun in summer and plant it in the back yard where it will get morning sun that isn't so strong.

It is hardy to zone 6 but that would depend on how cold it gets where you are. Lots of freezing temps and ice or snow would mean to be on the safe side bring it inside. If your winters are mild then it should be okay outside.

4. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thanks Toni.

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Our problem is the opposite, how to stop the dratted stuff spreading. We did have all the various shades of pink and red, in which it comes, but as it self seeds, it reverts to red and they kill off the decent colours.
    It has survived here in temps as low as -20c. It likes (with us) a well drained soil and does not seem to mind where it grows itself. There are clumps in full sun and others in shade.
    Bit of a thug to me.