Growing Morel Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by MyHomeAndGarden, Apr 26, 2010.

1. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

I grew up in Iowa and we'd find Morel mushrooms all the time. We'd clean and saute them in real, home-made butter! Totally yummy!!

I NEVER see them in our grocer markets and I'm looking at growing them... Any thoughts on this? I now live in Central Florida... Humid, HOT summers and terrific winters. (except for this last winter... Burrrr)

I see kits that you can buy and I'm thinking that they're all just money makers and not really necessary.

Do any of you know of a TRUE, real site that lists instructions for diy growers? Any tips? Any thoughts?

I'm anxious to hear from this fabulous group of real gardeners!
    Deborah

2. Loading...

3. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have done a lot of reasearch into trying to grow my own without buying plugs. All I find is that it is going to really expensive to do so. I have heard of some excellent results from the plugs though. depending on the type of mushroom, you can get a lot from a few plugs. Hardwood species that grow between and in logs seem to produce best and the longest if given the right conditions. I have thought about trying the coffee ground oyster mushrooms for some time. They say you can get 3 batches from them.

I know this doesn't help much but I have tried for a long time to find out how to do this on my own and have found the cost is much more than I would ever save growing the mushrooms. I think the kits will pay for themselves if you provide the mushrooms with ideal growing conditions.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am in Texas and as far as I know we do not have morel mushrooms in the wild !! I think the southern heat is too much for them !! They are terribly expensive I`ve heard and is probably why they are not in the supermarkets !! Have you tried to google "growing morels" or something similar to see if its possible to grow them in your climate !!! I would check on it before I spent money on those kits !! Never heard if anyone has had success with anything except button mushrooms !!

5. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

Boo hoo on Growing Morel Mushrooms

Gosh, I was hoping to hear that growing Morels would be easy as pie! But so far, it doesn't sound so good.

I have googled all kinds of things looking for good sites that would give advice and came up with varied thoughts and 'opinions' of growing them.

Looks like I just need to go back to Iowa during the season and go pick my own! They were bountiful on the farm I was raised. Didn't realize I was raised on such an expensive delicacy!

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Haha, Deborah, I have to laugh. Sorry. :D Some of the tings we took for granted as children, eh?

The morel mushrooms are few and far between here too, and they're concidered a delicacy. To buy them is totally out of the question budget wise. Fortunately we like other mushrooms that are affordable, or even pickable in autumn, so we're saved. :D

7. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

I'm on my way to Whole Foods Market to pick up my very FIRST, FRESH Hearts of Palm, so this makes up for my inability to find Morel... BUT, while I'm there, I'm checking them out to see if they sell the Morel... Maybe they have it in dried form.

I just can't let this go for some reason! I've been craving that taste for a couple of months now! It has literally been 40 years since I've eaten one!!