Growing Rosemary

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by bendee331, May 7, 2017.

1. bendee331

bendee331 New Seed

I have not much luck in growing rosemary. Does anyone have any tips?:dislike:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How much water did you give it? It is a Mediterranean plant and doesn't need hardly any extra water. Does your part of Florida get the almost daily rain? I lived in West Palm Beach for a few years and remember those well. If it is in the ground you might want to put in a pot that you can put under shelter during the rainy season.

Frank likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Bendee, there are several varieties of rosemary. I grow Tuscan rosemary (just slightly bluish rather than a strong green, but tastes the same). I put some in a pot and others in the ground. I don't water unless we've gone nearly a month without rain, never fertilize, and just let the plant do whatever it wants. The potted ones are smaller and eventually have to go into the ground. The ones planted in the ground do well, and I have two that are about 10 years old.
    All this is leading up to "tips"--try pots and in-ground, don't fertilize or, as Toni said, over-water, and try to find Tuscan rosemary at a nursery.
    We use the big stems, stripped of leaves except a tuft at the top, for skewers for grilling chicken, pork, and vegetables. Oh, so good!:setc_092:

Henry Johnson, bendee331 and Frank like this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have the Tuscan also. We do not eat it but if you take some of the stems and soak them in melted goats milk soap base it makes a really great smelling soap. You can soak some stems in your favorite oil for cooking or using as a base to make skin cream.

Henry Johnson and bendee331 like this.

Advertisement
  6. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Up here ours is growing out of control. Its overtaking everything. I'd like to cut it right down but the boss says otherwise, and my thing is, do as you are told and peace will reign.
    P5070089.JPG P5070090.JPG

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It smells so wonderful Kildale....beautiful plants.

I have tried growing rosemary in the house and I kill it every time. I think I over water it by the sounds of what everyone is saying about it.. I have never tried it outdoors...I figure our winters are too hard here in Wisconsin.

bendee331 likes this.
  8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I grew rosemary both in Texas and Arizona. It doesn't take a lot of care but does need watered now and then. I watered it when I watered the garden as it was near the garden. Our dog, Chance, loved the smell and would go rub up against it and carry the smell with him. When Chance died we buried her and built a small bed over her and planted rosemary around it. We sure miss that dog. dooley

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh yes, Dooley, I know what you mean about Chance liking rosemary. Our beloved calico cat, Feliz, would go lay down in the rosemary bush and take a nap. When I picked her up to cuddle, she smelled of rosemary!
    Our pets give us such good memories, especially after we get over grieving of their passing.

Robin H likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kildale, you have my deepest sympathy. I know I am in the minority from those who like this stuff.... But the stuff just stinks. I grow it just because I can sell it. People keep asking for it. gag! gag gag gag!!!!! I don't like lavender either. neither does my family.. for both of them. must be a genetic thing just like cilantro is.

I really don't have any tips to give you Bendee, other than once you get it established it should be a bout like a weed, but it may be too humid/wet for it where you are. put it in a large pot water it a few times if it looks dry and leave it alone. maybe you are killing it with kindness.

bendee331 likes this.
  11. bendee331

bendee331 New Seed

Thank you all so much for your comments. I really appreciate it and will try out your suggestions:)

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I don't care to use rosemary in cooking, but would like to try making soaps with it. I love the smell, just not so much the taste.

I do LOVE lavender, but it does not do well for me. A friend a few miles south, has it growing like the pictures of rosemary above. My rosemary is iffy at the moment.

Does it need pruned in the spring? I pinched some dead pieces off... Also, does rosemary repel harmful insects in the garden? I was thinking of putting it near my tomatoes if it would chase those tomato cutworms that ruin my tomatoes a lot.

13. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@AAnightowl you can and should prune your rosemary. You can cut it a lot.

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

AAnightowl, rosemary doesn't repel insects, not even tomato cutworms, but it is a great herb. We have two very large rosemary bushes that I prune to use as an ingredient in stuffing a chicken, skewers on the grill, and as filler in bouquets to add scent. I even give sturdy stems to friends so they can use rosemary on the grill or to flavor pork and chicken in the oven.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am planting marigolds all over, but they do not seem to be effective at repelling Japanese beetles, or tomato cutworms.... I refuse to use chemicals such as Round-up on my property and gardens.

16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

AAnightowl, French marigolds planted among root crops repel nematodes. For some reason, basil planted between tomato plants seems to repel the cutworms--no scientific evidence, but once I started planting basil with my tomatoes, due to lack of space in the herb garden, I didn't have cutworms. Depressed the chickens who loved to eat them, but made me happy!

Henry Johnson likes this.