Guess my Peace Lily is happy now:)

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Ronni, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I've had this peace lily for several years. It was a gift in an arrangement that had several other plants potted up with it. I repotted all the plants in individual containers. I've been waiting not so patiently for this peace lily to flower. The last one I had it flowered profusely, several at a time usually, but this one has just been recalcitrant and stubborn, and absolutely REFUSED to flower, though it seemed healthy and has grown considerably since I first potted it.

But now? Success!! And I only had to wait 4 years! :confused: Just the one bloom, but it's healthy and pretty and now I'm hopeful that it's gotten past its self-imposed strike, and will put many more out from now on!

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. nilbert
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Amadeo
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have one just like yours Ronni. It's only ever produced two flowers - once. It's in flower at the moment and I wouldn't be without it.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I don't have one of these right now but they're very pretty plants.

I was wondering IF they are too healthy? In other words do they flower when they're stressed and thinking they're gonna die? They throw out a flower in a last ditch effort to hang on?

Maybe you're being too good a Momma Ronni ??? (Just my coffee and armchair theory from this morning)

5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well. That's a demoralizing thought! :confused: I'm being too good to it???? :p

I've had a variety of peace lilies over the years that have flowered profusely, and I've treated them no differently than I've treated this one, so I don't think that's the answer.

I actually wondered if it had to get to a certain size before it would start flowering. This was a baby when I first replanted it...no more than about 4 inches above the pot when I separated it from the overall arrangement.

The other thing I thought of is that perhaps I planted it in a pot that was too big for it at that time...it's still in the same pot, and I'm wondering if all its energy went to the roots and filling out the pot from the base up, before it decided it had grown its roots enough and now it was time to send its energy to flowering.

..........and that's a couple of my own armchair theories! ;)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Definitely an interesting article on Peace Lilies. Learned something new :) They're very pretty and can really put on quite a show with just the leaves.

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

You know, I am a green thumb kind of girl, and have dozens of plants. However, I have had two Peace Lilies, both given to me by relatives after receiving them at funerals. Both have been fine for a while and then both decline. I lost one of them, and the other I put out on the deck last summer because it was also declining. It never did much better out there, so this fall I pulled it out of it's pot and put it in a vase with water. Seems to like that, and is growing a little.. I just do not get why they are so difficult for me? I guess I don't really care . It's just a mystery !:rolleyes:

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks so much for that article Eileen. The things you learn here!! My guess seems to have been right! In my case, I think this was the reason my plant didn't flower until now:

"Your plant is usually not mature when it comes from a commercial grower today. That means it is not old enough to flower naturally. "

As I mentioned earlier, it was in an arrangement with other flowers, and was just very small. I think it's just finally gotten mature enough to bloom. Too, it's not in an ideal growing medium so I'm going to be repotting it too, but not till after that flower dies back. It's just too pretty to mess with! ;)