Hail storm yesterday that lasted about an hour!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jul 11, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We had a hail storm yesterday that lasted about an hour. I really lucked out as the hail was smaller and wasn't as vicious as I have seen before. I checked my hosta first but being under the fir tree they were fine. Nope, no holes or mangled clematis. I couldn't believe that the only thing damage a bit was the poplar leaves! Even the vegetable garden didn't suffer and yet it really came down for a while! :eek::D

Tooty2shoes, Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Glad your garden stayed safe.....and you two of course.

You remember the Texas hail storms? We have had several around the area this year but thankfully my yard has been missed. Our car was totaled by one about 3 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hail is one of the most destructive things that hit a garden! I'm so glad your vegetables and flower plants were spared the damage!
    Like Toni, we've had hail. The worst was the second year we lived in Texas--my cucumber leaves were perforated, our roof was damaged, and the flowers were beaten down.
    The trouble with hail is that you really can't prepare for it--other than getting vehicles under cover and pets inside, you just have to ride it out.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

A whole hour!?! Normally ours are really short 10-15 minutes maybe. That is enough time to destroy my plants though :setf_050:

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I should explain that the hail wasn't continual but that it was off and on for an hour. Just as I would go out to see what the damage was it would start again.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad to hear that!
    Hail is a mean thing and can so seriously damage your plants.
    Glad this incident turned out so good for you.

8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I live in fear of hail. It can be so destructive and awful and nothing you can do except weather it out (and then rush outside to view the damage with fingers crossed hoping it isn't too bad.)

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I understand the worry of everything in a garden being damaged....I have been very lucky here. Sometimes I can't believe how my garden can still be standing when we get strong rain and wind.

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Hail storms is what I hate the worst. Nasty little chunks of ice tear all the flowers and leaves to bits and have even been big enough to shatter a lawn ornament or two! Though high winds have bent and wind burned my plants also. Oh well, all we can do is prop up what we can, trim back what we can't and thank God that most of our plants live on.