Has anyone grown Asimina triloba, Paw paws?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CrisGzr, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I keep reading that they grow wild around here but you'd never see one in fruit because deer, cattle and squirrels -well, actually everyone eats it! I see the trees for sale online and would like to try one.

Has anyone had success? I'd like to know what they like best it says shade but I see full sun...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba

This bogger lives a bit west of me into the mountains:
    http://chickensintheroad.com/house/gard ... h-pawpaws/
    these fruits sound so yummy!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All I know about Paw Paws is the children's song I learned in first grade. Pickin' up Paw paws, puttin' them in a basket....
    It was years before I found out what a Paw Paw is.

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

LOL, I never heard that but it sounds like a fun one to sing. I'm going to keep checking the farmer's markets. I have a few places that might work to plant some.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Advertisement
  6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I love it! I'll have to sing it for the dogs, they love my singing :p

7. oubee

oubee In Flower

That was a new fruit to tropical me! For me pawpaw means papaya, and that grows abundantly here! I had several in my garden but had to uproot several of them as they were males mostly *sighs*

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My mom said the one in our old yard was a paw paw.If thats one the last time I looked a tree fell on it but it was still green.It has large thorns on it and the fruit is so sour it will lock your jaws.I always thought paw paws grew on the ground .To pick them up and put them in a basket.I know the song toni does.They remind me of limes.

9. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

that sounds like a persimon Glendann, they pucker you mouth until first frost. The paw paw is supposed to taste like a banana and doesn't travel well so was never grown commercially. I am just flumoxed that we had a banana thing growing around here and I don't have one LOL It certainly sounds good! I bet it makes good ice cream!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Cris, I have ONE paw paw. It takes two for pollination, unfortunately I haven't had much success getting a second one in the ground and actually growing. So I can tell you the one I have is an easy keeper tree. I don't do anything to it nor does it seem to have any insect problems. I just can't get a second one to grow for me. It is really a shame, I tore one out 10 years ago when we expanded our septic system and thought it was no biggie....well it does seem to be a biggie as I haven't been able to get any fruit from the one I have. I did have fruit from one of them a long time ago, but I don't remember it being wonderful either. Probably why I am not too worried at the failure of the second tree.

11. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, Now I feel really bad. I went to call Miller's to order two more trees and they are closed until tomorrow morning. I will try again. I didn't think about it being widowed.....wow, how thoughtless of me. I did have one little one I bought last year and had it in a pot and it leafed out this year and then ....died....truly the other one has now been widowed twice and it all my fault. :oops: :sete_038:

13. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

omg, you home-wrecker! LOL

Make sure you get her a young husband to make up for it! :D