Help!! Bailey was sprayed by a skunk!!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by jubabe296, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

We were watching tv the other night and Bailey (my dog not one of the other members!!LOL!!Sorry Bailey!!) started barking really loud and growling! We had set a bag of trash out on the porch for John to take out to the dumpster the next day. Well a skunk had decided it would try out the tasty contents until Bailey found it digging in there!! When we heard her barking I ran out on the porch in time to see it's fuzzy tail raise up as it was running down the steps and it sprayed Bailey right in her mouth!!Phewwwww! She started shaking her head and foaming trying to get the spray out of her mouth. I called the vet's office and they said several people had called with the same problem in the last couple of days and to try vinegar or tomato juice, I tried both and neither worked. They also asked if it was day or night. I'm assuming maybe because if it was during the day it could be a rabid skunk, because in the last few years we have had a problem in our county with rabid skunks!! Anyways I need help majorly!! Pleaseeeee! Does any one here have any suggestions for me? Any and all will be greatly appreciated!!Thanks so much in advance!

2. Loading...

3. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

OH NO!!! :eek: Poor Bailey - poor YOU!! :'(

This is from Wikipedia, never tried it, but maybe . . . .

This is the site I copied from, if you want to read more.

4. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Just be careful Julie when you use some of those ingredients as they could set off a skin irritation or even burn and I think poor Bailey has enough to contend with at the moment. :( Do let us know if anything does the trick as I'm sure others could find themselves in the same situation some day.

Advertisement
  6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Chance was also sprayed by a skunk, last year. We went to a grain and feed store that also had pet food and supplies. We bought a product called Natures Miracle. It came in a quart bottle for about $10.00. It is harmless to pets and contains an enzyme that really takes away the smell and fast. We just took an old cloth and rubbed the product on full strength. The odor was gone within 5 minutes. We now keep the bottle handy as we have a lot of skunks here. If your shops don't carry it, contact Pets 'n People inc. 1815 Via El Prado suite 400 Redondo Beach, Ca. 90277

7. Marlene

Marlene Young Pine

Oh no, I feel sorry for you and Bailey. I had that happen many years back and I can tell you the tomatoe juice and baking soda didn't do much to kill the smell. That poor dog had so many baths she'd hide when she saw me for a while. I called the vets and everyone trying to find a solution, but that was all they could tell me to do. Wish I had known about the product DR found (maybe it wasn't available that many years ago). It took quite a while for that odor to be gone and then when she got damp, I swear I could still smell it for many months. It's something I've never forgot!
    Good Luck!!

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So pleased to hear that there's something out there that will get rid of the skunk odour for you Julie. It's definately worth $10 to get rid of that dreadful smell isn't it? :D

9. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

My dad used tomato juice, in big cans to make a bath for the dog - I have no idea if it would be as effective as the storebought product, but it sure beats nothing.... Poor Bailey!

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Julie,I do hope you read DR's comment. I haven't talked to you since this evening and you were still trying to figure out something.Once Kevin(My son) was down wind from his dog when it got sprayed by one,of course it got Kevin also.I stood him out in an old metal tub and stripped him and poured a big can of tomato juice over him.Burried his clothes and thought of throwing him away too. :D That is a shock when a child gets it.:eek:

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I'm glad that DR has tried this product and liked it. We also have skunks and are looking for a product to have on hand for this Emergency. Poor Puppy. :'(

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My dog was sprayed by a skunk back in September. I used a product called "skunk off" and it worked quite well...until the next rain!! Everytime my dog gets wet, her face stinks again (she also got sprayed right in the mouth!)

13. jubabe296

Thanks for all the suggestions!! DR I will go to the feed store and see if they have Natures Miracle!! $10.00 is a very good price to get rid of this horrible smell and I'll definately buy 2 bottles!! Thanks so much!! She is smelling a little better after 3 different baths but I still smell skunk!! I might have to use Netty's "Skunk Off" too!! Where can I purchase it Netty, just in case!!
    Eileen I was careful with what I've used on Bailey so far!! I agree she has been through enough, she sure doesn't need a bad skin condition to go along with the smell!! She is so upset with me right now she is a Chocolate Lab you would think she would love baths, but she doesn't!! She loves water just not bath water!!LOL!! I feel so sorry for my puppy girl!!

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Actually, one bottle will last quite a while. It doesn't take much to do the job.

15. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Dan came and borrowed our bottle when his Sheltie got sprayed. Ginger had this long hair with an under furry coat. It didn't take a lot to get her cleaned up. It doesn't leave a smell of anything. Dooley

16. jubabe296

DR and Dooley thank you!! I will start with one bottle!! LOL!! I'm so thankful to know there is something that will help with the smell! I was raised in the country and we never had a dog sprayed by a skunk, so this being our first time I guess we are very fortunate!! Hopefully it never happens again! Since Bailey got sprayed so close to the front door the inside of our house smelled like skunk also, but it is starting clearing out pretty quickly except for the freezer!! I guess I opened it while the smell was at it's strongest? I put a BIG box of baking soda in it and hopefully it will smell better soon!! This weekend when we went to get our new cell phones I opened my purse and the skunk smell came out of my purse!! I was just a tad bit embarassed!!lol!!