Help ID-ing shrubs

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Splaker, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Splaker

Splaker New Seed

Hello folks,

I'm a first-time poster and pretty novice gardener!

I just bought a property on a half acre lot. The previous owners, who were not here for very long, did not keep up with the maintenance of the lot very well.. Many shrubs are over-grown and in need of attention. I want to prune some back. I have already started on a couple that I was able to ID on my own - a red-twig dogwood and a purple-leaf sand cherry. I cit back the dogwood aggressively because it had become wild looking, with lots of old, dead and large trunks. I saved a few of the younger shoots cutting them back a fair bit too but not completely. I am going to tackle the sand cherry today as it has also become scraggly and over-grown. I plan to target all of the big branches and even the smaller ones cutting them back as close to the ground as possible. I hope this is the proper strategy for this plant under these conditions.

I need help IDing a few others and I will start with this one for now since I am going to also prune it today or tomorrow. By the way, I am in zone 4 (or 5b). Thank you very much in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...