Help with bell peppers

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Encoreman, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Encoreman

Encoreman New Seed

Hi all, I have 12 bell pepper plants in a raised bed that up until a few weeks ago looked perfect except no blooms or peppers. They also started to wilt toward evening so I figured they were dry and started watering them in afternoon for 3 consecutive days and we actually got a nice rain. No change at all, I searched the net and tried epsom salt solution sprayed on plants and still no change. I am beginning to think too much nitrogen? The soil mix I use is 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 mushroom mix which is composted horse manure. Everything else I plant in this mix grows like Jack's beanstalk. The plants have nice thick stalks, good size and color and some blooms, but they aren't setting fruit. What suggestions? Thanks Mac

Philip Nulty and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

A garden question without any markers for place is a barrier beyond my ability. Please amend your signature line with a state and USDA zone.

Your peppers could be lacking or suffering the lack of or too much heat. I can't tell.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Encoreman

Encoreman New Seed

Sorry Coppice I was in a hurry for an answer when I first joined this forum.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Peppers are hot weather plants, depending on your night time temps are now you might have to wait until later in the summer to see any progress.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Bell peppers are late bloomers. I always have some that are two to three weeks behind others. What variety did you plant ??

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Depending on how hot it is they may be heat stressed... but I doubt it. They generally love hot weather. I have mine planted in plastic and it is in the mid to high 80's with the black plastic around them... really hot. But without knowing more we are all just guessing. I normally don't see them just wilting. You may have a soil borne issue. did you actually put your finger in the dirt to see if it was dry? Stop watering them, too. If they are wilted and don't need water that is bad for them. you watered for three afternoons? how long? all afternoon or continuously for 3 days starting in the afternoon or for an hour each afternoon or did you sprinkle them or did you have a soaker hose on them? ??? was there a huge temperature swing from cool to hot? Not setting peppers? are the blossoms turning yellow and dropping off or are there no blossoms? too much nitrogen wilt make lush beautiful green growth but no blossoms. if it is above 90 it may be too hot to set blossoms. good luck.

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

That afternoon wilt is pretty normal. Mine also will wilt down in the afternoon heat but are nice and perky in the cool of the morning. When did you plant them ? My bell peppers are always late and this year produced more than I could use, eat or freeze.

9. Encoreman

Encoreman New Seed

Thanks for the replies. Yes I tested soil with my finger, I water with a water can and check them the next morning. In typical Tennessee weather it goes from high 60's to 70's at night and has been high 80's to around 95. I called a local nursery and was told that most people around here plant too early and that June would be a good time to plant. Well I planted on April 29th. The plants are really big and I actually staked them like tomato plants as they were leaning with some winds we had had. Oh well I guess I will try to be patient. I need to have a soil test performed so I will know if it is a problem with it or not. Thanks again, Mac