Help with choosing a Garden Statue?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by oubee, Jan 12, 2013.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

I want to gift one to my mother but the problem is that I don't know which criteria to select. Any suggestions about the material, e-purchase site I can check out, designs ( I've got a vague preference for an angel but need more options to consider), maintenance tips, etc.

Thanks in advance!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. Busted

Busted New Seed

No personal experience except for unloading a concrete statue, was about 4 foot tall and weighed around 300 lbs or more. That being said depending on the size you are looking for, shipping on something like that would be costly because of the size and mainly the weight.

Concrete is a very common statue material and depending on who makes it they reinforce the insides with rebar. You can get concrete sealer which would help cut down on the wear and tear by weather. This is a must with areas that have snow because concrete absorbs water and then freezes which causes the statues to crack.

For concrete I would recommend finding a local business that makes statues.

The second choice is a resin based statue. Which would weigh much less than concrete if hollow, thus would save a little on shipping. Modern resins are rather durable and that being said they probably would outlast concrete. Resin based statues can be more expensive than concrete as well.

Metal is another choice which is a very nice looking statue but also a bit pricey. The thing I like about metal statues is metal develops a patina over time. These certainly would last for many many years, unless made from iron which would rust unless treated and maintained.

Here is an online retailer that can help get you started.

http://www.svjcreativedesigns.com/index.php

Hope I was able to help you out :)

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

What size statue do you have in mind?

5. oubee

oubee In Flower

Thanks Busted. I'm more into resin based statues and to answer your question, Cheryl, I'd prefer a human-sized statue but from the ones I've checked out yet, most of them do not go beyond 1m high.

Checked out the site. http://www.svjcreativedesigns.com/store ... 33be5e83ff seems nice!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oubee here is my resin garden statue. It's the image of my daughter and I couldn't resist it when I saw it. She is life sized and much lighter than concrete but not too light to get blown over in a gale.

[​IMG]

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

We have a concrete dog with a basket in it's mouth that holds flowers in the summer. We have had it for 20 years, it has held up well. There are usually local places specializing in garden statuary, I don't think I would want to ship something that heavy. Someday I may put a small dragon in the garden, the big ones eat too much and step on flowers.

Jerry

donna in nc likes this.
  8. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I have many statues in my gardens most of which are concrete, which is best here in FL. however some are resin, all need re-painting now and then due to our harsh sun. You can buy resin online many places even overstock or amazon.

9. member17957

member17957 New Seed

Not sure which is exactly the best material but my parents did have a set of wood carved bears that ended up drying out and cracking after a couple of years. Probably can't go wrong with concrete, just get someone else to move it for you....hehe.

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Not to big on cement statues in my garden. I do love the metal bird statues.
    Jerry I to would love a dragon in my garden someday. But I have the room for a big one to roam in. Just hope it doesn't eat my goats. :eek:

11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I almost bought a garden dragon the last flower show I attended but the pose was wrong. Maybe next show.

Jerry

12. gkwilsongardens

gkwilsongardens New Seed

I always look at the climate as to what material the statue is made out of, concrete will not last long in lasting freezing temps therefore I would go for natural stone. As a rule the more you spend the better the quality!!

13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Henry Johnson likes this.
  14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those are very neat Jewel. I love the expression of the second one.

15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh yes. I love dragons. Great locations for your statues. :stew1: