help with colorado beetles.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Odif, May 23, 2017.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

It's not good to have the best potatoes in the village. Today I found a load of colorado beetles and i crushed them all. My question is does anyone know a homemade treatment that is effective against Colorado beetles.

2. Loading...

3. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Diatomaceous earth works pretty good, and I also use neem oil mixed in water with a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle. Consider creating your own garlic/pepper spray, which involves soaking a dozen chopped garlic cloves, one part chopped hot pepper or 1 tablespoon of cayenne with four parts hot water, strain and bottle. Spinosad is supposed to work on them, although I have not used it.

Odif likes this.
  4. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Could I pulverise really stinky nettle juice onto them. Bacillus thuringensis is quite good against all kinds of insects. I have hundreds of ladybugs on my potatoes, so I hesitate to use poisons, I guess the ladybugs eat colorado beetle larvae. Garlic pepper mix sounds good. I sprayed some cabbages with nettle potion against aphids, I will go and check if it has worked.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am not organic so my potatoes get sprayed through out the growing period. I also get help from a particular weed here. I have no idea what it is and its pretty invasive. But shallow rooted and easy to pull up. Potato bugs like it much better than my potatoes.

Advertisement
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Deep Forest, I had to research what DE is,
    DE (DIATOMACEOUS EARTH) is a non toxic flour-like powder made from fossilized skeletons of micro-organisms called diatoms.

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

The larval stage of a beetle is a grub. Nematodes kill grubs. Nematodes can be purchased relatively cheaply via Amazon.com. From reading some of your postings I gather you live in France? You should be able to get the little critters without too much difficulty.

Odif likes this.
  8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Thanks fatbaldguy, I see that these things are available here, excellent piece of advice. I think I crushed them all, but if the attack persists, I will think about using nematodes.