help with pelleted begonia seeds

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lukeypukey, Feb 11, 2011.

1. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

hi everyone. i recently aquired a couple of varieties of pelleted begonia seeds, and was basically wondering what the best methods for propagation were?? :-D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Luna
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi,
    From what I have read they are planted much the same way as regular seeds. The spacing and planting depth should be on the package and they can be started indoors before last frost or planted outside after last frost.

The reason for the pelleting is to make planting and spacing of the tiny seeds easier and there is less thinning to do since they are properly spaced.

But I have heard that the pellets can not be saved from one year to the next because the seeds are pre-germinated to the point of swelling then dried again.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, as always, is right. The pelleted seed doesn't save from one year to another, so use it up or give some away this year.
    I'm not sure where you are, but Toni and I are in Texas so direct planting is an option. If you are in zone 6 or less, starting your begonias inside is a very good idea.
    If you haven't done this before, look on the Seed Starting forum for ideas and tips, and post your query if you want.
    Also, welcome to GardenStew!

5. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

the packets i have are unusual and have no information on what so ever! there is information on germination rates, which i've not seen before! im in the uk, is this an american site?? thanks for the replies guys.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Never fear, this forum is worldwide....Ireland, Scotland, UK, The Netherlands, Norway, Malaysia, Australia, South Africa, Canada, Spain and a bunch of us in the US...and I am sure I have forgotten other countries. :oops: