Hi from Mauritius! Help identify these tropical plants

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by oubee, May 13, 2012.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

Man, the mods did take time to accept me registration :D Hey guys, I stumbled on this lovely!! site while I was browsing for some plant identifications! I visited the boards (hey, I could share some weird planting pots *evil laugh* and share an anecdote of a surprise visitor too! Ermm I saw a monkey *no kidding* jumping off my roof yesterday! It had uprooted my parsley! and been feeding on it! Queer!!!)

Well, starting with my introduction first. Am Kevi, from Mauritius (Google it up coz am sure not many of you have heard of this island in the Indian Ocean). Turns out English is not my mother tongue but I am fluent in it. It's just that we never learnt English plants' names at school and hence cannot name the ones I've got in my gardens (small backyard plot and roof plantation). I started with composting (dumping all organic waste from my dustbin into the red and barren land and hey, the result is quite satisfactory, at least weeds grow there now :D ) and now I transited from veg to flowers and ferns. I love to collect stem cuttings and plantings as I visit relatives and the result is that I have some unidentified plants in my garden hehe.

Here are they:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from oubee's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: I dunno if it's allowed on this forum but am all arms for any extra plants yu would like to get rid of; you could ship them over and I swear, I won't charge you for that :D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bosque
      Replies:
      Views:

3. oubee

oubee In Flower

Again sorry if the pics are well-known there... Am just 21 and have yet to fully grasp gardening. But I aspire to elevate myself from an amateur to a professional gardener despite my finance degree some day. *Hopefully* :stew1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. oubee

oubee In Flower

5. oubee

oubee In Flower

Advertisement
  6. oubee

oubee In Flower

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Oubee and welcome to GardenStew,
    Could you edit your posts to add numbers to these plants so that members can easily refer to the one they are identifying.
    Thanks.

8. oubee

oubee In Flower

Thanks, Frank. Just did it :)

Frank and donm like this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Hello Oubee, and welcome to GS! Your picture number 1 shows a plant which I too have got. However I also don't have any real idea on what it's real name is. It is however a type of cactus (the flower is very similar to my Delosperma plant, however it is about quarter the size)...

Pictures number 2, 3, & 6, are also a different types of cactus (common in my area). And 16 is also very common here - But alas, I only know their local names in my language.

Here is the picture of my plant. I am 100% sure that it's the same one - By the way, I know very well where Mauritius is in the Indian Ocean (as I have a very strong attachment to the sport of sailing). Anyway it is nice to meet someone over who is almost in the same time zone as me, with just 1 hour of difference.

I sure am looking forward to seeing some more examples of plant life from your wonderful island nation! :)

[​IMG]
    My Unknown Cactus 2012. ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Frank and oubee like this.
  10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Am, welcome to GardenStew. # 13 is a Milkwood pinwheel flower, Tabernaemontana divaricata.

Jerry

oubee likes this.
  11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Hi Oubee and welcome from SE Texas... and yes... I had to google to see where you live. :-D

1. appears to be Aptenia cordifolia - Baby Sunrose

The rest are just guesses....
    6. Mother-in-law's tongue or snake plant?
    7. a type of Passion Flower?
    9. Lily of the Nile or Society Garlic?
    13. Confederate Star Jasmine?

Good luck with your IDs and your plants... you've got a good variety!

oubee likes this.
  12. oubee

oubee In Flower

Thanks SH :)

And I use to think Cacti are thorny beauties only :D Yup, mine is a young stem I uprooted from somewhere and just dug it in the soil and voila! It's always heart-warming to see new forms of life taking/giving birth in your garden :) No wonder, am so fond of Marigolds!! So easy to propagate!

From Karachi..I guess you might be understanding Urdu/Hindi then? :) Koi baat nahi. I just need a name in any language, will Google the English name up and research on how to better take care of my sweethearts :)

Yup, the same! Yours is pretty too! Haha, I've never done parasailing but yeah, one of the attractions Mtius is known for :)

Great! Yeah, guess there's a considerable time gap. I was here this morning but the forum was desert :(

I fear most of the indegenous plants here are already known to you :(

13. oubee

oubee In Flower

Indeed! Thanks JS!

14. oubee

oubee In Flower

Ah, my first friend from Texas :D Long live the net :D

Haha! Happens!

Thanks! That's it.

What a weird name, wonder why they equated MIL's tongue to snakes :D Na, mine are more rounder in shape rather than elongated ones.

Na, definitely not the fruit.

The bud never opened up; got sun burnt, I guess :( but the flower is pink. Could be a relative of Society Garlic though since it's a bulb plant.

Na, SH got it right. It's a Milkwood Pinwheel Flower :)

Thanks dear. I am going to need luck with these :D :D Might post more pics later of my Marigolds, Brugmansias and other more common ones.

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to GardenStew from north Texas.

#7 is a Gloriosa also known as flame lily, fire lily, gloriosa lily, glory lily, superb lily, climbing lily, and creeping lily

oubee likes this.
  16. oubee

oubee In Flower

Wow, thanks Toni. I admit I got it from a walk in the cemetery :D and it was simply too stunning to leave it in that place, so I brought it home :D But one thought was always troubling me: something as stunning as this gotta be poisonous... looks like its roots are and they can be invasive too :D never mind, I'll just keep my hands off the roots and keep an eye on them!